Will I experience Activation Lock?

takuma089

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to ask this, I installed the first 2 iOS 9 Public Betas on my iPad Air 2, but the latest update, I had troubles installing it, so I uninstalled the configuration profile under settings, and tried to search for the update, it gave me the developer beta (beta 5), then I downloaded and installed it, right after installation, It suddenly came up to my mind that developer betas need a fee of $9.99 per month, but I didn't pay for any fees, after the 1 month period, will I experience activation lock?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to ask this, I installed the first 2 iOS 9 Public Betas on my iPad Air 2, but the latest update, I had troubles installing it, so I uninstalled the configuration profile under settings, and tried to search for the update, it gave me the developer beta (beta 5), then I downloaded and installed it, right after installation, It suddenly came up to my mind that developer betas need a fee of $9.99 per month, but I didn't pay for any fees, after the 1 month period, will I experience activation lock?

Wow. Lot of confusion here.

First of all, Activation Lock is basically the requirement to enter AppleID credentials to verify that you are the person who has activated iCloud services on that device. It's meant to prevent the sale and reuse of stolen or unauthorized devices. It has nothing to do with running beta software, per se.

Second, in the past, in order to run developer beta software, Apple required the device to have its UDID registered with a developer site as a device authorized to run the beta software. Apparently, there are plenty of ways around that these days. But regardless, any stipulation or requirement to run developer beta releases of iOS may require the device's UDID to be registered. To do so requires that you have a $99 (annually) developer account OR work with/for a developer who is willing to register your device. Because of supply/demand, some "developers" are willing to register devices for others, for a profit. Apple condemns this process and will cancel and developer account that it finds doing so. And at iMore, community guidelines prohibit discussion of and sale or solicitation of offers to register UDIDs, so 'nuff said.

With all that said, Activation Lock and the registration of device UDID are two separate things, that have no relationship to each other, beyond the fact that a device that is activation locked cannot be used to run beta software or used in any other way without the proper AppleID credentials. (Also, the "owner" who has the proper credentials can also remove the Find My iPhone feature from a device remotely, making it usable again.)

And AFAIK, neither of these involve a $9.99/month fee.

Last edited:

takuma089

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry if my english is bad, I'm surprised myself that it showed me the developer beta, even though the betas that I've installed are Public ones and not Developer Betas.

Wow. Lot of confusion here.

First of all, Activation Lock is basically the requirement to enter AppleID credentials to verify that you are the person who has activated iCloud services on that device. It's mean to prevent the sell and reuse of stolen or unauthorized devices. It has nothing to do with running beta software, per se.

Second, in the past, in order to run developer beta software, Apple required the device to have its UDID registered with a developer site as a device authorized to run the beta software. Apparently, there are plenty of ways around that these days. But regardless, any stipulation or requirement to run developer beta releases of iOS may require the device's UDID to be registered. To do so requires that you have a $99 (annually) developer account OR work with/for a developer who is willing to register your device. Because of supply/demand, some "developers" sell slots to register devices for others, for a profit. Apple condemns this process and will cancel and developer account that it finds doing so. And at iMore, that is a taboo subject, so 'nuff said.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry if my english is bad, I'm surprised myself that it showed me the developer beta, even though the betas that I've installed are Public ones and not Developer Betas.

There are plenty of reports of people deleting the public beta profile and being offered the developer beta. Apparently, it's not really a problem, and you will NOT experience your device becoming Activation Locked because of this - and there is no monthly fee for running either the public or developer beta versions of iOS.

Last edited:

takuma089

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for answering my question, can I ask for a link to a post where they were offered developer betas instead of public ones, thank you!

There are plenty of reports of people deleting the public beta profile and being offered the developer beta.
Apparently, it's not really a problem, and you will NOT experience your device becoming Activation Lock because of this - and there is no monthly fee for running either the public or developer beta versions of iOS.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for answering my question, can I ask for a link to a post where they were offered developer betas instead of public ones, thank you!

Search the internet. There are probably threads here, too, in the Developer Beta threads. It's commonly known. I did a quick Google search and got a couple of pages of examples.

takuma089

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!! I hope to get more confirmation later from other readers and search results :)

Search the internet. There are probably threads here, too, in the Developer Beta threads. It's commonly known. I did a quick Google search and got a couple of pages of examples.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flickoo