Wi-Fi performance is much slower than my iPhone

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I had noticed that wi-fi on my 10.5 seemed slower than on my iPhone 7+. So I restarted both devices and my wifi modem and router. Using Oookla Speedtest, the speed on my iPad is just over half the speed on my iPhone 7+.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I be concerned?

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Are both connected to the same wifi radio? Most routers have multiple signals, for 2.4G, 5G, etc. These have different speeds.

Other than that, I can't think of any reason for what you are seeing. My 10.5 pro is very fast here.

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Are both connected to the same wifi radio? Most routers have multiple signals, for 2.4G, 5G, etc. These have different speeds.

Other than that, I can't think of any reason for what you are seeing. My 10.5 pro is very fast here.

Thank you for the troubleshooting suggestion.

My service provider only allows the subscribers to connect to their -2G band. They reserve the 5G band and no longer broadcast that one.

So I'm thinking the answer is yes, both are on the same band.

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Are they using the same server in Speedtest?

Just tested again, in both the best and worst Wi-Fi locations in my home. I confirmed that both devices are using the same server.

However, good news for me, today I am getting similar speed results on both devices. Seeing the iPad hit top speeds is peace of mind.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will pay attention to that in future checks.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Internet speed tests are subject to LOTS of variables. Each can go through completely different connections/routes/servers, etc. It is always best to do several tests over several days, at different times of the day. Then you can get the fastest, slowest and the average. The average will likely be your real-world numbers.

The more tests you do, the better. Just like public opinion surveys, more numbers means more accurate results.

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I will do that over the next week. I really need to be sure that the Wi-Fi on my iPad is ok.

Testing again this morning, all seems fine for now.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
10.5" iPad Pro vs iPhone 7 Plus
65 Mbps vs 35 Mbps
These are Download speeds.
Linksys Velop Wi-Fi
Test conducted yesterday & today.
iPad Pro wins at my house.
Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online