Why is the color coming off of my iPhone X?

SafePin

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
I don't use cases with my phone. This is not to say that i drop it. I didnt even notice until recently where my friend pointed out that i ruined my phone by not having a case then proceeded to point out the paint was coming off the metal surrounding the phone. I don't know if its something i can go to the apple store for, if its something thats common with iphone x users or even if there is something i can do to avoid this continuing because now that ive seen it i cant unsee it and the silver spot seems to be growing.

Thank you for all your comments
via: premiere Luminaire

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Why is the color coming off my iPhone X

I don't use cases with my phone. This is not to say that i drop it. I didnt even notice until recently where my friend pointed out that i ruined my phone by not having a case then proceeded to point out the paint was coming off the metal surrounding the phone. I don't know if its something i can go to the apple store for, if its something thats common with iphone x users or even if there is something i can do to avoid this continuing because now that ive seen it i cant unsee it and the silver spot seems to be growing.

If you don’t use a case, this can happen. It’s just a coating on the stainless steel and it can wear. Best o use a case if your worried about it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I’m going to assume you’re referring to the metal band and not the actual backing because that’s covered with glass. With that being said, it is best that you use a case to prevent cosmetic damages on the device. Apple is not going to replace it and it is not a common dilemma. Put a case on it and then go on enjoying your iPhone X.

SafePin

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site

I dont like using cases because i love the look of the phone. i think a lot of people can agree the iphone X series are the best looking phones. You would think that a manufacturer like apple would understand this. Are you sure that its not something i can go to the apple store and get it switched out? my phone is less than a year old. To me its like selling someone a car and within a year the steering wheel leather wears out because they didnt put a cover on it.. Will it make it car unusable? No but it ruins the experience of owning a new car

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I dont like using cases because i love the look of the phone. i think a lot of people can agree the iphone X series are the best looking phones. You would think that a manufacturer like apple would understand this. Are you sure that its not something i can go to the apple store and get it switched out? my phone is less than a year old. To me its like selling someone a car and within a year the steering wheel leather wears out because they didnt put a cover on it.. Will it make it car unusable? No but it ruins the experience of owning a new car

It’s worth a shot to take it to the Apple Store and see what they will do. I completely agree with you. While I do use a case most of the time, if I chose not to, I would expect the coating to hold up longer than one year under normal use. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. I’ve never had that happen before so I don’t know if it’s a common occurrence. Good luck!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to iMore

Is it wearing off or chipped off. Apple might be able to help you if its wearing off but chipping is another issue

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

Cape cod cloth. Shine it right back up, if it's the silver. I just bought a clear slickwrap for my X. Plan on putting it on this weekend. Good luck

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I haven’t seen this on my launch day X. Everyone’s mileage varies. I say take it in & see what happens.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I haven’t seen this on my launch day X. Everyone’s mileage varies. I say take it in & see what happens.

My space gray did it last year. Little by little when I didn’t use a case. Wasn’t worried about it because i trade mine in every year.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it just started chipping away. Thankfully my gold isn’t doing it this year. Seems they have improved the process this year. Seems much more durable.

My gold seems good too, but I haven’t had mine as long as you. Only time will tell!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77