Why Didn't Apple Give iP4 users Siri since RAM confirmed to be the same on 4S ???

gregorypleau

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Add another voice to the needs the A5 CPU crowd here. Dual core is a significant value add when talking about background processing for apps.

Joebin

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
As snappy as my iPhone 4 is, I am assuming that Siri requires the heavy lifting that the A5 can handle. My guess is that the A4 chip could probably handle processing but at the expense of heating up the handset and battery life. If so, we know that Apple won't allow any feature that taxes the overall experience.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
As snappy as my iPhone 4 is, I am assuming that Siri requires the heavy lifting that the A5 can handle. My guess is that the A4 chip could probably handle processing but at the expense of heating up the handset and battery life. If so, we know that Apple won't allow any feature that taxes the overall experience.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here!

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The A5 chip is required for siri (so they say)... bu if you look around the net (youtube) for siri videos... there are earlier versions running (one video was from 2009)

so if may work, but not well ---

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
To everyone who's saying the processor is able to do soooo much more: what you ask Siri is bounced to Apple's servers. There is little to do with processor power. Nonetheless, the A5, clocked at 800 MHz is not that much faster than the iPhone 4's A4. As far as the OP's question, I would have to side with others on this being a 4S strategy. Sort of like the compass on the iPhone 3GS. (Yeah, remember those days?) While that's not a cut and dry example, it gives you an idea. You have to give it something to differentiate it from its predecessor. As if the camera and processor improvements weren't enough, giving 4S users access to Siri is just the icing on the cake.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I ask you (AGAIN), do you know this dev personally? Could you set up an interview with us? Do you have any proof what-so-ever that this is the case?

The Interview is online if you care to search for it. I've already seen it and will not go find it for you to prove to you I am telling the truth and not speaking from pure conjecture as everyone else is in this thread.

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I agree , Most of the work is done in the cloud as you need an Internet connection for Siri to work (I believe )

@dazzx
About.me/Darrent

You put me in serious doubt, Kindly someone please elaborate this issue. Do we need an internet connection for the siri to work? i mean cant we use the Siri offline?

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow, come on people. I say once again, why don't you wait for the phone to come out before you spew out what you just simply think is true? Or what you're convincing yourself is true based on anger that you maybe had to buy an iPhone 4S to have this feature? How many of you have taken the iPhone 4S apart and dissected its abilities? Anyone? No. That's what I thought.

I'd believe a developer over an average Joe any day. That's all we can go off of. Yes, this was likely partially a marketing strategy, but I am willing to bet that iPhone 4 cannot run Siri as smoothly as it was intended. If that pisses you off, suck it up and deal with it. Apple are perfectionists, and I like it that way. When one of you takes the iPhone 4S apart and proves one opinion or the other, then it will be more relevant. Right now, I'm sorry, but us iPhone 4 users are S.O.L. No reason for bitterness or hostility. No one has any facts yet.

Chill out. In two days you guys will know everything.

Last edited:

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow, come on people. I say once again, why don't you wait for the phone to come out before you spew out what you just simply think is true? Or what you're convincing yourself is true based on anger that you maybe had to buy an iPhone 4S to have this feature? How many of you have taken the iPhone 4S apart and dissected its abilities? Anyone? No. That's what I thought.

I'd believe a developer over an average Joe any day. That's all we can go off of. Yes, this was likely partially a marketing strategy, but I am willing to bet that iPhone 4 cannot run Siri as smoothly as it was intended. If that pisses you off, suck it up and deal with it. Apple are perfectionists, and I like it that way. When one of you takes the iPhone 4S apart and proves one opinion or the other, then it will be more relevant. Right now, I'm sorry, but us iPhone 4 users are S.O.L. No reason for bitterness or hostility. No one has any facts yet.

Chill out. In two days you guys will know everything.

You mad bro?

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
it seems that Siri has been working on older iPhones for a while now.

i cant post links yet!

guardian.co. uk/technology/2011/oct/05/iphone-4s-siri-icloud

Until Tuesday evening, Siri.com was the home page for the company which Apple already owned, and you could download a free app which would work on older iPhones (back to the 3GS: here's a review) and offer you much of the Siri functionality. Now it's been withdrawn ? and its servers turned off for old versions of the app ? and Siri's pages redirect to Apple's site.

If you think about it, this means that Apple's taking software that did run on old hardware and limiting it to new hardware. For a company that makes its money out of selling hardware, this might not be surprising. For those who had the free app, that's probably annoying. As far as we presently know there's nothing 4S-specific about Siri (although possibly the voice recognition depends on the A5 chip).

You put me in serious doubt, Kindly someone please elaborate this issue. Do we need an internet connection for the siri to work? i mean cant we use the Siri offline?
No... i doubt much would work since it needs some sort of knowledge base to look up information.

anon(123795)

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The siri on older phones was much different. Anyone could have downloaded it for free out of the appstore 6 months ago. It didn't have nearly the same conversation that the current app has.

Although, for all of those saying it's processing power...we just have to wait and see. If that's the case, why is it not on the ipad 2? Same processor, same ram. Maybe it will come to it after beta, who knows, but it's all marketing at this point.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77