Coming from Web OS to IOS 5 with Iphone 4s. Here are my thoughts.

imgreenlantern2

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I am a forums junkie and have been over on the web os nation (formally precentral.net) for several years, and figured since I'm a Iphone owner now I would venture over to these parts.

Anyway, I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings about the Iphone 4s and IOS 5 from a person that has never used it and is brand new to the environment. I have strictly used Palm devices since 2001, but since HP took a giant crap on Web OS last year and left the OS to the wolves, I figured it was time to venture onto greener pastures...well green-ER pastures if you know what I am saying.

First off I wanted to share my thoughts on the Iphone 4s. The hardware is of course fantastic. This is where I think Apple definitely owns the market. You can't beat the form factor and personally I'm glad it didn't change from the old one. I don't care for the button though especially coming from Web OS's finger gestures which I think are the greatest things in the world. Here's my pros.

Pros.
1.) Love the hardware.
2.) I absolutely love how fast the phone is. Insane really!
3.) The screen is gorgeous.
4.) Fantastic camera
5.) Siri is pretty cool but still mixed. Will leave in pros for now.
6.) Speaker on it is pretty dang good.

Cons
1.) Absolutely can't stand not having a keyboard. After always having one I think it will be a while before I'm use to that.

2.) Where's the multi-tasking? Web OS smokes the crud out of the IOS 5 with the multi tasking. I don't even think Android can touch Web OS. That is the biggest grip I have. I loved being able to do 5-10 different things at once without any of them shutting down on me. Really Apple, I think IOS 6 better have something along the lines of "cards" or Android is going to run you over. At least give us some true multi tasking.

3.) The notification system is second rate compared to Web OS' notification system. I really miss this feature. Yes, I notice IOS does have something somewhat similar, but its still night and day. I miss my little icons appearing at the bottom for notifications.

4.) Is it me or is this phone a pain in the ass to hook up to itunes? I don't understand why it has a hard time backing up everything instead of some things. Probably me but still worth mentioning, especially coming from my older Palm phones being amazing with syncing stuff.

5.) Where's the customization?

After using a Palm Pre 2 for the last 18 months I really do miss Web OS. It is a crying shame what HP and Palm did to it but that's in the past, because if HP hadn't ended Web OS I'd still be there right now for sure.

With that said even with the cons I do like the Iphone 4s. I think over time I can get use to second class multi tasking and notifications. Hopefully Apple will update the OS with better features to help in those categories.

Anyway, there's my thoughts. Hope you all have a great day!

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Notifications are getting a lot better with iOS5. I like android and a friend loved web os but did not like the hardware. I think the iPhone is the best everyday phone.

Apple Ifad

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I hear you about web os. Although I never owned a palm device I thought It had a lot of potential. And the pre could've been a great phone, but alas.. Bad hardware quality and the initial release on sprint, of all carriers, were bad decisions. And so a promising os got eatin by HP and left on a hill to die.

freddmc

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
"5.) Where's the customization?"
Probably not there because 95% of iphone users don't care about it. They are just happy with how fantastic it is without customization.

evoKY

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the original Palm Pre, actually 6 of them. In hindsight I find it very strange Palm released a beta OS phone as the next great phone. I remember how happy I was when they released the first update that enabled the video camera. The webos internals team developed the Pre faster and better Palm ever did. I always get nostalgic thinking about my Pre because it was the first phone that got me into the tweaks and rooting.

imgreenlantern2

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
There is no getting around how fantastic the hardware is on the iphone 4s. I have to say though that my Palm Pre 2 was really good. In the 18 months I owned it I never had any of the issues that I had heard about with the Pre and Pre Plus. The battery was bad though until I upgraded it from the 1150 to the 1380.

I truly believe that if Palm had release the quality of phone that the Palm Pre 2 turned out to be, they would be alive and healthy today.

What really killed Web OS I think was the horrific marketing that they did. Plus they waited 6-7 months from announcement to release their products. That's what I think Apple does so well, is they release their products a week after the announcement.

I think it would be great if IOS 6 had gestures and ZERO BUTTONS. The beauty of the Pre 2 with no buttons and just finger gestures was so awesome. I miss that a ton.

With that said though I definitely like the 4s over any Android product I tried out at Verizon. They're nice but for all that money and a plastic phone...that's what turned me off.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! I had the original Pre on Sprint when it released. I too loved the notification area, keyboard, and cards layouts. But, hP killed WebOS when they bought it from Palm. I understand the sellout to hP, but hated the implementation from hP. Jumped over to Android & now I'm back on iOS with my iP4s.

Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Apple should buy the rights to the gestures and cards and mix it with iOS. I have the gesture tweek installed but it isnt smooth like webos.

Would be nice. Likely won't happen tho. They'd literally have to buy the smartphone patents as I recall, since Palm still owns those.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

imgreenlantern2

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Another feature I really wish IOS 5 had that Web OS was fantastic with was "Just Type". I hardly ever used my shortcut icons because I would type one or two letters of what I wanted and BOOM there it was.

Is this feature in IOS 5 that I don't know about? I miss that if it isn't.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
2.) Where's the multi-tasking? Web OS smokes the crud out of the IOS 5 with the multi tasking. I don't even think Android can touch Web OS. That is the biggest grip I have. I loved being able to do 5-10 different things at once without any of them shutting down on me. Really Apple, I think IOS 6 better have something along the lines of "cards" or Android is going to run you over. At least give us some true multi tasking.
No current mobile OS has true multitasking. webOS is just more fluid and effective at multitasking.

3.) The notification system is second rate compared to Web OS' notification system. I really miss this feature. Yes, I notice IOS does have something somewhat similar, but its still night and day. I miss my little icons appearing at the bottom for notifications.
Yeah I miss that as well, I've been wanting to buy a Pre3 for awhile now. I just don't want to pony up the dough.
But really jailbreak and look up intelliscreenX. It will make your notification woes go bye bye

4.) Is it me or is this phone a pain in the ass to hook up to itunes? I don't understand why it has a hard time backing up everything instead of some things. Probably me but still worth mentioning, especially coming from my older Palm phones being amazing with syncing stuff.
You can also use iCloud to backup your phone. IMO an easier solution, but I backup on my PC and iCloud.

Just one of the gripes about iOS

After using a Palm Pre 2 for the last 18 months I really do miss Web OS. It is a crying shame what HP and Palm did to it but that's in the past, because if HP hadn't ended Web OS I'd still be there right now for sure.
I'm in the same boat, once they announced no new hardware I jumped ship. Started looking for something else. I came to iOS for a couple of reasons. The app development is huge, even if Android does rival it everything feels more polished to me.
The hardware, its Apple, they produce quality products, which goes along with customer service is top notch.
Lastly would be the compatibility with everything. Everyone makes *compatible for iPhone/iPod* especially in my car.

With that said even with the cons I do like the Iphone 4s. I think over time I can get use to second class multi tasking and notifications. Hopefully Apple will update the OS with better features to help in those categories.
Jailbreak your phone. It will make its 30 times better.

Welcome to the forums hope you'll like it here!

Another feature I really wish IOS 5 had that Web OS was fantastic with was "Just Type". I hardly ever used my shortcut icons because I would type one or two letters of what I wanted and BOOM there it was.

Is this feature in IOS 5 that I don't know about? I miss that if it isn't.
On the homescreen swipe the right(the furthest left screen) as far as you can. Not quite as good as just type, but its easily accessible.

vreihen

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Another feature I really wish IOS 5 had that Web OS was fantastic with was "Just Type". I hardly ever used my shortcut icons because I would type one or two letters of what I wanted and BOOM there it was..

"Search iPhone" is on the left-most desktop screen. I've brought it up so many times by accident when pressing the exit button that I'm surprised you didn't run into it by now. You may have to go into Settings | General | Spotlight Search and enable what sources on the phone you want it to search, but I have not missed Just Type in my 4 days with the iPhone 4s so far.

As for the card thing possibly being protected by patent, the little button on the bottom right corner of the Safari screen enables a similar feature to go between open web pages. If it didn't have red X's on the top of each "card" and let you flick it off the screen instead, it would be a knockoff of the webOS card interface that changes web pages and not open tasks. Taking it one step further and going into card mode between apps wouldn't be too much of a stretch, since they already have the double-click of the exit button bring up a scrolling list of open program icons.

The gotcha that was annoying me the most was back-swiping on the gesture area not working. I found a rubber case that covers the "gesture area" and only leaves a round hole for the exit button, so I haven't made that mistake in a few days now.....

Apple_Fangirl06

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I am a forums junkie and have been over on the web os nation (formally precentral.net) for several years, and figured since I'm a Iphone owner now I would venture over to these parts.

Anyway, I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings about the Iphone 4s and IOS 5 from a person that has never used it and is brand new to the environment. I have strictly used Palm devices since 2001, but since HP took a giant crap on Web OS last year and left the OS to the wolves, I figured it was time to venture onto greener pastures...well green-ER pastures if you know what I am saying.

First off I wanted to share my thoughts on the Iphone 4s. The hardware is of course fantastic. This is where I think Apple definitely owns the market. You can't beat the form factor and personally I'm glad it didn't change from the old one. I don't care for the button though especially coming from Web OS's finger gestures which I think are the greatest things in the world. Here's my pros.

Pros.
1.) Love the hardware.
2.) I absolutely love how fast the phone is. Insane really!
3.) The screen is gorgeous.
4.) Fantastic camera
5.) Siri is pretty cool but still mixed. Will leave in pros for now.
6.) Speaker on it is pretty dang good.

Cons
1.) Absolutely can't stand not having a keyboard. After always having one I think it will be a while before I'm use to that.

Welcome to the dark side. I do understand several points you made, not to slight ur points but I've learned the importance of quality over bells & whistles. I first learned about quality dealing with cars. My old Palm Treo reminds me of owning a Chevy. I had Bose sound system, eight speakers, leather seats (w/ heated front bucket seats) & 20 inch rims. The whole package came standard on my vehicle...however all of it did not make up for quality. I was constantly repairing something out of pocket. I went to Honda & haven't looked back.

I fought going to Apple due to screen size & not wanting to change carriers. After leaving Palm due to lack of quality I tried two Android phones (HTC). Again, I had multiple problems with both devises not to mention battery life & the only plus to both was widgets, customization & a few features not on the iPhone. After replacing both devices & resetting both several times, I was reminded abt my car experience...the importance of quality.

When I left the world of Andriod & came to the dark side (iOS) I did miss a few things just as I missed a few things in my Chevy. However I do not miss the lack of quality that came w/ the bells & whistles.
I learned to use wallpapers & create folders. I do agree with one other person that mentioned jailbreaking...it sounds like it would offer you several things that you miss. I'm still learning abt jailbreak & will not take that road til I feel well informed. BTW...all of the above is IMHO due to my experiences. LOL.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2