Why are iphones so controversial??

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Go read about Glock firearms and you’ll be surprised at the similarities. Much like iPhones, Glocks are hated just for being Glocks. They “aren’t innovative enough” and they “don’t introduce enough new features when a new model comes out.” Oh, and if you like a Glock you are a sheep just like iPhone users. The thing is, though, they just work. And they work as well or better than everything else out there and are generally the measuring stick by which the competition is compared. The parallels are undeniable.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Because people like you post about iPhone's be controversial making it seem to be a thing when it really isnt?

I kind of agree here. There’s always going to be a little controversy. I mean, there’s competition, brand loyalty, lawsuits, high price points....but at the end of the day I wouldn’t consider my iPhone X a “controversial” device. People are either going to like it and want to buy it or dislike it and move on. I think people—particularly the type that hang out in tech forums—tend to make it a bigger deal than it is to the rest of the world.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Go read about Glock firearms and you’ll be surprised at the similarities. Much like iPhones, Glocks are hated just for being Glocks. They “aren’t innovative enough” and they “don’t introduce enough new features when a new model comes out.” Oh, and if you like a Glock you are a sheep just like iPhone users. The thing is, though, they just work. And they work as well or better than everything else out there and are generally the measuring stick by which the competition is compared. The parallels are undeniable.

Eh I just hate glocks because they are so dang slippery compared to my XDSC. Other than that if the things make a big noise when you pull the trigger im generally smiling when I’m using them.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Eh I just hate glocks because they are so dang slippery compared to my XDSC. Other than that if the things make a big noise when you pull the trigger im generally smiling when I’m using them.

Yeah, let’s talk about guns on a tech forum, in a completely unrelated thread, because that makes perfectly sense

brandonflan

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Apple gets a lot of hate for their features from what I’ve seen.

When fingerprint readers were first made available (earliest I could remember was the Motorola Atrix 4G) they had many flaws, especially Samsung when you had to slide your thumb across the reader. Apple didn’t introduce Touch ID until the 5S in 2013. And in my experience Touch ID was light years ahead of the competition.

Android phones (along with its fragmentation) often place many new features in its devices that sometimes come out half-baked and take several years to get it right whereas Apple kind of studies it...and studies it again...and studies it again before implementation, which makes it more smoother at launch.

Couple Apple’s perceived “copycat” reputation with its price point (on par with its main competition) and a lot of Android users just continue to needlessly bash. Not to mention, Android offers more customization and most people do not like Apple’s closed-source OS. I know, I used to be a blind Apple hater.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I think the reason why some people don’t realize how many people have iPhones is because for the most part I don’t know anyone with an iPhone that has to constantly throw it in your face. All my friends and family who are on android cannot resist telling you about their awesome new Samsung/Motorola/google phone. And how it’s better. Then complain a year later that their phone is acting weird and they need a new one.

Same here. I have friends and co-workers and can’t stop bashing me because I have the iPhone X. They keep saying I have Android 2016 and all the features that I have has been with Android for many years. I don’t even start the conversation. They just come to my face and say “How’s your Android 2016?”. They’re like a bunch of school bullies. I just ignore them because I think they’re just jealous!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the reason why some people don’t realize how many people have iPhones is because for the most part I don’t know anyone with an iPhone that has to constantly throw it in your face. All my friends and family who are on android cannot resist telling you about their awesome new Samsung/Motorola/google phone. And how it’s better. Then complain a year later that their phone is acting weird and they need a new one.

You may be onto something here. After reading your reply, I started thinking of all of the people I personally know who use an iPhone and how many of them make bold references to the fact that they use or prefer an iPhone. The answer is zero. For the most part, I don’t think we really care what device someone else uses - I know I don’t....

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Personally I dislike the user interface and controls. I’m familiar with mobile devices and I couldn’t even figure out the app switcher and how to kill a background app. I’ll stick with my 7.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I cant argue that Apple products arent quality. However a lot of folks don't like iTunes and the control Apple has over the phones. It kinda makes you wonder if the 1984 commercial isn't a little hypocritical today.

https://youtu.be/2zfqw8nhUwA

Having control over design and what to allow in regard to access to the operating system is not a bad thing, in my opinion. It doesn’t prevent users from being free to create.

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
People want a platform to forward their agendas. The iPhone is popular and its a a lot easier to get people to watch your zombie face video with an iPhone than a Samsung.

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Having control over design and what to allow in regard to access to the operating system is not a bad thing, in my opinion. It doesn’t prevent users from being free to create.
I agree actually, especially where apps are concerned. But in 2017 it wouldn't be a bad thing to be able to drag and drop a file to or from the phone. Ringtones could be a lot simpler as well.

In my case my home machine is still on Vista (no longer supported) so my SE and iPhone 7 are basically untouchable with iTunes. So to use itunes i am forced to upgrade a computer that does everything I need otherwise. My S8 has no trouble at all with Vista. I guess that's my main peeve with Apple's way or no way.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree actually, especially where apps are concerned. But in 2017 it wouldn't be a bad thing to be able to drag and drop a file to or from the phone. Ringtones could be a lot simpler as well.

In my case my home machine is still on Vista (no longer supported) so my SE and iPhone 7 are basically untouchable with iTunes. So to use itunes i am forced to upgrade a computer that does everything I need otherwise. My S8 has no trouble at all with Vista. I guess that's my main peeve with Apple's way or no way.

Understood....

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

I have to agree. The average user is not interested in being a power user, installing custom ROMs and other related tweaking. Most folks want a phone that works out of the box, and works well.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
It's not even just iPhone's getting that hate these days. Samsung have pulled away from the rest of Android manufacturers so they get a lot of hate directed at them in the same way now too, not just from iOS fans but other Android users

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Being controversial means to disagree. When people learn that it doesn't matter what kind of phone a total stranger uses, the controversy ends.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If it’s not your phone then it’s the car or the area you live in or the size of your tv.... people always think they’re decision was best and on the internets they can voice opinions freely

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I tend to hang out in shall we say... very geeky parts of the Internet. Forums like HardOCP, TechSpot, TechPowerUp, etc. and whenever I say anything remotely good about Apple iPhones the community seems to attack my comments like a pack of wild dogs. I could bring perfectly good logic to the table and yet the comments still get torn apart just as viciously. And don't get me started on the "You must be one of those Apple fanboys" like comments too. Anything positive said about the iPhone guarantees you a mob attack.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien