Why am I being prompted for my password when downloading a free app when Touch ID is enabled?

baumgrenze

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I am adapting to an iPhone SE 2020. The touch ID works to open my phone. In settings (iTunes & App Stores) I am told told that Touch ID is enabled for all purchases. I tried to download a free copy of Google Maps and was asked for my password to authorize the transaction. Why?

thanks,
baumgrenze

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: App Store Set For TouchID - Free Download Requests Password - Why

I am adapting to an iPhone SE 2020. The touch ID works to open my phone. In settings (iTunes & App Stores) I am told told that Touch ID is enabled for all purchases. I tried to download a free copy of Google Maps and was asked for my password to authorize the transaction. Why?

thanks,
baumgrenze

Hopefully, the information found via the following link will be helpful to you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204030

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I remember being very puzzled by this when I first got a smartphone, but of course did not take Apple’s cut into consideration.

baumgrenze

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
It is my intuitive response to turning on Touch ID, that if I'm asked for a password, it should be sufficient for me to provide my 'touch' in response. My phone only opens the Home Screen if I properly touch the button. This tells me that I could not have opened the App Store app without passing a security screen via touch.

What is the convenience of "Touch ID" if I must back it up with an appropriately secure password?

No, my iPhone is not my computer. I have a proper PC built to my specifications by an independent builder. The phone is a primarily a tool for keeping in touch with others. Yes it is convenient to have access to the web, but it is frustrating to use a browser that seems to change familiar search engines so that even they do not behave as expected.

I remain confused (and disappointed.)

BTW, with Apple it is not a 'cut' it is a bite, and the logo lets you know that it has been taken before it is handed over to you.

thanks,
baumgrenze

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You only have to give in your credentials the first time you download something from the AppStore.
This is for security reasons.
The next downloads, whether free or paid apps are simply done with the TouchID.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2