Where does my text message go If I leave iMessage and then return shortly after?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This issue is hit or miss with me. My texts vanish maybe 50% of the time. And it's new with me. Since updating to iOS 12. Never happened up through iOS 10. It is annoying. The weird thing is, it never happens when I test it to see if it happens. But it does.

Understood.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: I am amazed!

I'd love to catch you on the street one day. See how condescending you are with my fist rammed down your throat?

Heh, forum tough guy. I'd love for you to "catch me on the street one day". I have a really good law firm on retainer.

MissD IsMe

Aug 15, 2019
Visit site
It is honestly interesting to me that people are using text messaging as a means of sending long and important messages. It seems rather inefficient. Especially in a time where our emails are only a finger press away.

My partner has an XS Max and the same issue happens when he is composing an email and he receives a call or text. If he leaves the email screen to answer the phone, the unfinished email will have vanished when he returns to it. So it’s not just iMessage or text message but in emails also.

wowthisguyreally

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
Re: I am amazed!

I create drafts via my phone all the time and on numerous occasions, I’ve started an iMessage conversation then became distracted and then returned hours later and the draft was still present and waiting for me to finish. Therefore, your alleged true answer is false. Now if you’re dissatisfied with Apple products and services, so be it. Everybody here understands that they are not for everyone. With that being said, I’ve learned over the years that a good deal of the “frustration that people have had to deal with” is self-inflicted.

In the meantime, thank you for your response and I hope you become a productive member of the iMore Forums. Take care.
And you personal experience does not represent everyone, so therefor its irrelevant to being a solution. Simple fact is that Apple can address this issue in a very simplistic few lines of code, yet they apparently dont wish to do so, prolly because they are more worried about crapping out the next model that has minor upgrades in hardware, rather than refine the OS to be more logically seamless experience.

I can point out a number of instances where you couldnt come up with an excuse to why things are left lacking. We shouldnt have to deal with which turd might be the least smelly and hope they will eventually make the smell more tolerable.

wowthisguyreally

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
If I have a long and involved text message, I type it in Notes and then copy and paste it into iMessage. You can also use and App’s like “Drafts”.
Thats what equivalent to a child waiting till their abusive parent is asleep so they dont get beat. How many preventative backup actions should we do? So after writing it in notes, save to dropbox , box and drive as well right?

wowthisguyreally

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
I had a nice detailed explanation to this problem in other apps, but would it have you that set the phone down and must have tap something when picking it up because it was on a fresh draft, the weird thing is that it had replying to (the thread name ) as a link but all the previous comments were gone. Couldnt figure how to navigate to that part again because when testing to reproduce the draft being present upon going back Nd between webpages my mock draft was still persistent, never the original.

Anyways this happens in other apps when commenting or posting. Seems its how apple lets the devs control what the IOS should be in charge of….background refresh is off and In airplane mode it will still get rid of it. Would surprise me since they let apps control other things that should be controlled by the OS.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
And you personal experience does not represent everyone, so therefor its irrelevant to being a solution. Simple fact is that Apple can address this issue in a very simplistic few lines of code, yet they apparently dont wish to do so, prolly because they are more worried about crapping out the next model that has minor upgrades in hardware, rather than refine the OS to be more logically seamless experience.

I can point out a number of instances where you couldnt come up with an excuse to why things are left lacking. We shouldnt have to deal with which turd might be the least smelly and hope they will eventually make the smell more tolerable.
Hello and welcome to iMore. When you get a chance please familiarize yourself with iMore’s Community Rules and Guidelines:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a nice detailed explanation to this problem in other apps, but would it have you that set the phone down and must have tap something when picking it up because it was on a fresh draft, the weird thing is that it had replying to (the thread name ) as a link but all the previous comments were gone. Couldnt figure how to navigate to that part again because when testing to reproduce the draft being present upon going back Nd between webpages my mock draft was still persistent, never the original.

Anyways this happens in other apps when commenting or posting. Seems its how apple lets the devs control what the IOS should be in charge of….background refresh is off and In airplane mode it will still get rid of it. Would surprise me since they let apps control other things that should be controlled by the OS.

I don't buy that. It did use to vanish for no apparent reason. But it hasn't done it for a long time. Like several years.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had something to say about this.I have had it happen, not for a long time.
Various reasons ! the main one is I'm going to ignore you if I'm messaging or texting and you try to call, Text messages are meant to wait ! should anyone be offended they're welcome to call someone who cares !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien