What will next years iPhone be called

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps I should have searched but I’m in the Tapatalk app and I scrolled through many topics and didn’t see this one. If it’s already here my apologies close out the thread.

Anyway, this year Apple unveiled the iPhone 8/8s and iPhone X(10). So it makes you wonder what will next year’s iPhone be? Will they release iPhone 9/9s and XI, Just an iPhone 9/9s or just an iPhone XI? I’ve always said the name of the iPhone is irrelevant. It’s Apple’s device so they can name it whatever they want. But if they release just iPhone 9/9s it will look old compared to the X. If they release just XI then the iPhone 8/8s was definitely just a stop gap because of limited X numbers. I feel they will simply go with XI only but there will be high expectations coming off the X.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I honestly have no clue what went through Apple’s mind when they named this year’s iPhones. I think they cannibalized a lot of iPhone 8 sales by going with iPhone 8 and iPhone X(10). It sounds as if the iPhone 8 is already an old model even though it’s been out for less than a month.

Personally, I think they’re gearing up for removing the numbers all together. It makes sense because “iPhone 18”, for example, just sounds dumb. I wouldn’t be surprised to see iPhone, iPhone Plus, and iPhone X next year.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's my understanding the iPhone X is a limited edition anniversary model. I doubt we see another anniversary model next year. What I see coming are 2 iPhones with the same features and technology of the X. Maybe the iPhone 9 and 9 Plus. The iPhone X basically replaces the 4.7" model and a larger version of the X replaces the 5.5" model. The larger model will have a 6.4" edge to edge screen in an iPhone roughly the size of the 5.5" model. Maybe slightly taller. They will look something like this:
ca59f2c0ee8e51f2fc1a2f418383c9a1.jpg

This is all my guess and we won't know anything for sure until Apple unveils them next year.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
They could also so the iPhone 9 and leave the X as is. Maybe by next fall they will catch up with the demand.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding the iPhone X is a limited edition anniversary model. I doubt we see another anniversary model next year. What I see coming are 2 iPhones with the same features and technology of the X. Maybe the iPhone 9 and 9 Plus. The iPhone X basically replaces the 4.7" model and a larger version of the X replaces the 5.5" model. The larger model will have a 6.4" edge to edge screen in an iPhone roughly the size of the 5.5" model. Maybe slightly taller. They will look something like this:
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171006/ca59f2c0ee8e51f2fc1a2f418383c9a1.jpg

This is all my guess and we won't know anything for sure until Apple unveils them next year.

This is my hope, because I’ll certainly want the 6.4” variant.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171006/ca59f2c0ee8e51f2fc1a2f418383c9a1.jpg

I might be ready for the 6.4” one. Especially if it’s the same size as my 7 plus.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My initial guess is that it’ll be called the iPhone 9...

Is think that too but Apple defied logic with this year’s naming scheme. I would have never thought they would announce an iPhone 8 and iPhone 10(X) at the same time. I’m almost thinking they’ll just drop the number on the lower model iPhone next year. Just have a 2018 iPhone and iPhone Plus, and a 2018 iPhone X.
EDIT: Apparently I already replied earlier in the thread. Oh well, it’s worth repeating. 🤪

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77