What will happen to mobile devices with this Net Neutrality fiasco?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The whole point of smart devices is Internet access, right?
So if that becomes prohibitively expensive, then what?
Are we going back to flip phones, newspapers and snail mail? Paying all our bills by check?
How far back toward the Dark Ages are we going?

I ask because I haven’t replaced my phone yet (it went through a soaking and spin cycle in the washer, only works for calls now, sometimes texting) because if Internet use is about to become a thing only some people can afford, I probably won’t be in that group so I won’t be paying for a data plan I won’t be using.

So I’d get a flip phone for emergencies but otherwise I’d give up smartphones and tablets, what would be the point?

Understand that i am NOT trying to talk politics, I’m really asking about Net Neutrality and how this will affect anyone who accesses the Internet via mobile devices.

Also, bizarrely enough, with full connection I’ve had the hardest time getting anything to load for several days, now.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Smartphones were around way before net neutrality became an official thing in the eyes of the FCC so I don’t think we are looking at the total destruction of wireless data as we know it. There’s no reason to panic.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... Are you guys saying I should go ahead and get that iPhone X ?! *rubs hands and cackles gleefully*

We’re saying that you shouldn’t be concerned with any perceived effects of net neutrality with regard to smartphones.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Our smartphones aren't changing. The content we use on our smartphones is what could potentially see a difference.

A lot of people reference 2015, seemingly ignoring the differences between that time and now as it relates to how we use our devices. Content and media in 2015 wasn't like content and media now. AT&T and DirectTV weren't as close. Sprint and Hulu partnerships hadn't happened. T-Mobile and Netflix wasn't a thing. Verizon hadn't bought Yahoo. ISP's are cozying up to our favorite services like never before. Cord cutting was a thought whereas now it's a greater reality. Our reliance on internet services in every day life has grown and will continue to grow. That's where things get hairy. Maybe T Mobile would rather Netflix be their primary content provider so they allow them priority over Hulu.

Who knows what will happen. Maybe nothing will change. Maybe the changes won't be seen for a while. But to reference the past seems a little naive, in my opinion considering technology and streaming and our internet lives have evolved and will continue to do so.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Our smartphones aren't changing. The content we use on our smartphones is what could potentially see a difference.

A lot of people reference 2015, seemingly ignoring the differences between that time and now as it relates to how we use our devices. Content and media in 2015 wasn't like content and media now. AT&T and DirectTV weren't as close. Sprint and Hulu partnerships hadn't happened. T-Mobile and Netflix wasn't a thing. Verizon hadn't bought Yahoo. ISP's are cozying up to our favorite services like never before. Cord cutting was a thought whereas now it's a greater reality. Our reliance on internet services in every day life has grown and will continue to grow. That's where things get hairy. Maybe T Mobile would rather Netflix be their primary content provider so they allow them priority over Hulu.

Who knows what will happen. Maybe nothing will change. Maybe the changes won't be seen for a while. But to reference the past seems a little naive, in my opinion considering technology and streaming and our internet lives have evolved and will continue to do so.

Well said. I don’t think anybody who has responded is being naive, however. Nobody has really made any claims aside from there not being any reason to panic and go back to a flip phone. The truth is nobody has a clue what net neutrality being repealed is going to do. One thing I can pretty much guarantee, however, is that it’s not going to mean the end of the smartphone. I’d also be willing to bet data prices aren’t going to skyrocket either. ISPs still need customers.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Well said. I don’t think anybody who has responded is being naive, however. Nobody has really made any claims aside from there not being any reason to panic and go back to a flip phone. The truth is nobody has a clue what net neutrality being repealed is going to do. One thing I can pretty much guarantee, however, is that it’s not going to mean the end of the smartphone. I’d also be willing to bet data prices aren’t going to skyrocket either. ISPs still need customers.

In no way did I mean that as an insult. I apologize if it was took that way. I simply meant that using the past isn’t a fair indicator of our future in this type of scenario and I’m not sure if everyone (even those I’ve seen away from iMore) doing so is considering the differences in climate. Maybe they are. I don’t know honestly. But I think we all can agree that things are definitely different between now and then as it relates to streaming services and the makeup of some of the biggest ISPs and media/content companies. When you consider these differences, it’s not hard to see why many ISPs are lobbying for the repeal of NN.

And I agree. Smartphones aren’t going anywhere. We are too reliant on them and NN really has nothing to do with our smartphones.

I also agree with your comment on data prices sky rocketing. Paid prioritization is my primary concern. I definitely see that happening sooner than later. Earlier this year Verizon (my provider) was already found limiting Netflix stream quality. They claimed they were “testing” things. Zero rated data programs were already happening for AT&T customers with DirectvNOW. How could these things evolve into less consumer friendly practices for those who aren’t “all in” on the services their provider offers? I’m also a cord cutter so everything I do really does depend on the availability of the services I use.

Only time will tell.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I think in the near term nothing is going to happen because it's on people's minds and there will be consumer backlash. In the long term stuff may start creeping if a new version of net neutrality doesn't come around and eventually people will realize it and possibly start making enough noise to cause some reversal. Nobody knows for sure though until we actually get to the future so this is all just purely my opinion. Whether it's right or completely out in left field I have no idea.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I also know Comcast has already announced "minor" increases under the guise of "increased cost of doing business". If this is really true or not who knows. I know there's always disputes with providers and the TV networks over charging the providers more to be able to broadcast the content even before this. I'm definitely glad I just locked in a new 2 year price last month for our cable/internet/phone package that's actually lower than the previous 2 year contract we had for the same stuff. Gives me some time to see where things go and figure out what to do in two years.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I also know Comcast has already announced "minor" increases under the guise of "increased cost of doing business". If this is really true or not who knows. I know there's always disputes with providers and the TV networks over charging the providers more to be able to broadcast the content even before this. I'm definitely glad I just locked in a new 2 year price last month for our cable/internet/phone package that's actually lower than the previous 2 year contract we had for the same stuff. Gives me some time to see where things go and figure out what to do in two years.

Comcast has an increase each year it seems.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thanks, everyone. As of now, I still haven’t replaced my phone, I’ll probably have to wait until January anyway : I have asked only a can of stores but they have no iPhone X in stock at the moment.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It comes down to your carrier and how they decide to manage access, expect them to find ways to extract more money out of companies for access and paid prioritization. The issue is how inept and corrupt our government is and the lack of people actually getting out to vote to change out the inept leadership we get every election cycle. If people voted, even cared about or had a clue as to what their vote or lack of voting would do to their everyday lives then we would not be in places we are today. Net neutrality is the type of the iceberg, look at the debt, tax "reform" that passed that does nothing of any real benefit for the the everyday citizen and instead benefits corporations, the wealthy and those in our own gov't leadership.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
When you know who eliminates Net Neutrality you can bet that all the prices for everything with mobile phones is going to go UP. The problem is most of the companies that we rely on like Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Instagram Gmail, Youtube, everything is based in the US so when they do that it’s going to affect the entire WORLD for data and monthly price plans. And they want to make more $ by charging EXTRA to use specific major apps and services so they make more $ at the top. This is why Apple is against it and I think I read Zuckerberg is also, because they know many are NOT going to be able to afford or bother paying extra to use Facebook or YouTube, etc.

Last edited:

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
It comes down to your carrier and how they decide to manage access, expect them to find ways to extract more money out of companies for access and paid prioritization. The issue is how inept and corrupt our government is and the lack of people actually getting out to vote to change out the inept leadership we get every election cycle. If people voted, even cared about or had a clue as to what their vote or lack of voting would do to their everyday lives then we would not be in places we are today. Net neutrality is the type of the iceberg, look at the debt, tax "reform" that passed that does nothing of any real benefit for the the everyday citizen and instead benefits corporations, the wealthy and those in our own gov't leadership.

Exactly and the problem that people do not realize is that extra cost is going to be put onto the backs of the consumer, and that means everyone in here because the companies won’t want to pay it.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Even if net neutrality is repealed, it'll take a few years through all the legal messes and lawsuits.

That’s true, I read they think about 2 years to bring it in. But we know anything like this ends up costing the consumer in the end.

Edit:

they already killed Net Neutrality last week.

But yes, it may take a year or two before IPs figure out how they're going to soak customers with targeted fees, etc

Last edited:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Smartphones were around way before net neutrality became an official thing in the eyes of the FCC so I don’t think we are looking at the total destruction of wireless data as we know it. There’s no reason to panic.

I agree 100% and the rules are just going back to the 2015 rules which means less government interference with the internet and I am all for less government involvement.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree 100% and the rules are just going back to the 2015 rules which means less government interference with the internet and I am all for less government involvement.

Couldn’t disagree more. I don’t need corporations deciding which websites get priority over others for speed or access. I don’t need them bundling website access. They don’t own the internet. They didn’t create it. They can make money off it but they in no way should control it. This absolutely calls for government protection through regulation.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DRizzlemeup