what to charge for design...

phix95

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I've done freelance before but it was graphic design or illustration. Since I've never designed an interface before, and the client has very little money, I'm not sure how to charge them. I'm researching plus designing. I've got to learn all the rules to how to do this before I can even design and it's taking a lot longer probably. I've looked online and the lowest I've seen designers charge is 20/hr. He wants it per/project. These people were professionals and the entire app would cost $25-50K to make! I'm thinking he'll want to give me like $50. I'm just thinking I'll be grossly taken advantage of here and want to be prepared. Does anyone have experience in this?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Only huge corporations would pay $20k for design.

When I worked with smaller clients, if they asked for a flat rate, I charged them $1000 provided it was a simple enough app that it would take under 50 hours to design. Then again, if you've no portfolio or experience, you shouldn't really charge very much for your work. And I would suggest you study Apple's UI guidelines extensively, so that you have an app on the store you can be proud to have designed!

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
We bill at $100 an hour for ad-hoc design work and $150 an hour for ad-hoc programming time.

Adjust your rates accordingly...

zeehu

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on how much experience you have and how big your portfolio is. You can always compare yourself to the market by seeing how much designers with the same level of experience charge on Freelance or Elance. Make sure you keep in mind, if you're local, you should be able to charge more since a lot of out of US designers charge a much lower rate.

rizwan_seopro

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
i think this is a very good design changes is very good working manner that you have the posted. i am very lucky that i found this form and tell me how we make design in one good or things.

karuzo#IM

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I do graphic design, but don't work in that profession. However, I researched this some time to gain some knowledge as possibly venturing into this. I can say that as a starter, in my opinion, spend some of your own time without charging. See what it takes from you to design for a game or app. After the first time around you'll get an idea of how much you should have been paid and how much time you actually spent.
One thing you can do is do the project keeping in mind that later after game or app are done, if any revisions come out, you will charge by the hour.
Like someone else said before me, I would do the job to gain experience and expand my portfolio. There are some talented people out of the US that would do your job for cheap. Luckily, not everyone know how to find them nor get the right person.

Hope this helps,
Doron

Last edited:

MOverlund

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
It's very easy to say, you should charge X and here's why, but in my experience you really have to be flexible with respect to what the client can afford weighted against the long term value of the project to your portfolio.

Disclaimer: I'm not a designer, I'm an engineer, but I've been on the client side of many transactions, and I've consulted in that capacity for 15+ years.

Ultimately it comes down to the long term needs of your business.

IdleStudios

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Trying to figure this out myself, but like others said, there are a lot of factors that determine how much to charge/expect. Client needs/budget and your own experience seem especially important at this junction for us. I was using theymakeapps.com as a reference for quality/project size, too. That might help you get a (very) rough idea...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notforhire