What is the differnce between .docX & .doc files?

I

iMore Question

I don't know what thread to post this under. What is the differnce between .docX & .doc files? I got a attachment that wouldn't open on my XP. My dad converted in to .doc file & opened in wordpad. When your opening it it says Word Doc but it open in word pad. Don't a big deal, just need to edit it.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what thread to post this under. What is the differnce between .docX & .doc files? I got a attachment that wouldn't open on my XP. My dad converted in to .doc file & opened in wordpad. When your opening it it says Word Doc but it open in word pad. Don't a big deal, just need to edit it.

Both are Microsoft Word file formats. The .doc file is the older version. It is backwards compatible with all versions of MS Word. The .docx is the format introduced with MS Word 2007, and is not backwards compatible with versions of MS Word prior to 2007. Versions 2007 and later also include an option to create a backwards compatible version of the document (.doc), which may not include some advanced features.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I was able to copy & paste from WordPad to Microsoft Word. my Microsoft Word is 2003. when I click check for updates it says you can update different apps but I want to update the whole thing. do you have to go to like Office Depot & buy whole new software

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77