Welcome to the all-new iMore Forums! - Please report your bugs here!

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
more observations from the desktop browser forum version:
in the list of 'Forums', there is a bold inverse 'New' next to each forum that contains new posts (I think) - great!
Once you enter this particular forum and see the list of contained threads, you no longer see WHICH thread contains any new posts - not great!

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
sorry for the clumsy image insertion - I don't know yet how to handle this properly.
Picture 1: from the 'Forums' - list, indicating 'New' items
Picture 2: now in the 'New to the Forums?...' - forum. Where are the new posts?
Hope that clarifies what I mean .

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
sorry for the clumsy image insertion - I don't know yet how to handle this properly.
Picture 1: from the 'Forums' - list, indicating 'New' items
Picture 2: now in the 'New to the Forums?...' - forum. Where are the new posts?
Hope that clarifies what I mean .
The one that says "Today" and is at the top of the list as it's the most recent. Your issue is basically with the dark theme, there's not much differentiation between read and unread in the list when it comes to the colors. Unlike in the light theme, where it would be highlighted blue to indicate a new post and then turn black after it was read. I've made new posts yellow now, so you can tell which you have read and which you have not.

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm referring to the new forum, web browser on the computer version (Mac/Safari in my case).
In the old version, when selecting 'participated' or 'my threads' (can't remember exactly what it was called) I could see the number of new posts next to each thread, in shiny red letters.
Not any more in the new forum version.
Unless I'm overlooking something?
P.S. I don't think it's a bug, but an omission of a - for me - important feature.
I understand what you mean now, you're referring to this.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 3.13.38 PM.png

Which yes, you are correct. It is gone. I don't think I can get that back for you, but I'll take a look.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
The one that says "Today" and is at the top of the list as it's the most recent. Your issue is basically with the dark theme, there's not much differentiation between read and unread in the list when it comes to the colors. Unlike in the light theme, where it would be highlighted blue to indicate a new post and then turn black after it was read. I've made new posts yellow now, so you can tell which you have read and which you have not.
correct.
I changed to bright and could identify new posts easily. I prefer the dark theme though but can live with bright too.
What I noticed is that in the old forum version, if I remember correctly, when you opened an updated thread, it jumped right to the first new post. Here you land at the beginning of the thread.
Yes you can quickly scroll to the bottom of the thread, and there will obviously be the new posts, but it's less convenient, and you never know how far you have to scroll upwards to get to the first new one - if you want to read in a chronological order.
But that's just cosmetics, not a very big deal.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
can it be that threads with new posts are now yellowish in dark mode?
I swear that was not the case just a few minutes ago.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
What I noticed is that in the old forum version, if I remember correctly, when you opened an updated thread, it jumped right to the first new post. Here you land at the beginning of the thread.
This version behaves in a very similar way. When I click on a thread with unread messages, for instance this thread, it did jump me to the first unread post.

What you might need to do is mark the forums as read first, so that the app knows when you "last read all the posts".

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
In the forum Settings, after changing the default style to "Default style" from the default "use default style: iMore", and then "Saving"; the word "xenFORO" appears in the page upper left corner. xenFORO is a clickable element, and upon opening it in a new tab, the main iMore site page opens. Perhaps xenFORO is the forum site application name, and in the administrative "view", that element can be changed to iMore so that non-administrative users see "iMore"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bla1ze

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
In the forum Settings, after changing the default style to "Default style" from the default "use default style: iMore", and then "Saving"; the word "xenFORO" appears in the page upper left corner. xenFORO is a clickable element, and upon opening it in a new tab, the main iMore site page opens. Perhaps xenFORO is the forum site application name, and in the administrative "view", that element can be changed to iMore so that non-administrative users see "iMore"?
Done.

Reactions: Trees

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
TideFans.com uses this same xenforo. When you have viewed a thread, leave and then view the thread list, those with no new posts appear grayed out. When there's a new post, it's no longer grayed out. That works pretty good for read and unread.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77