Voice Memos Missing After iOS 8 Update

pelorick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that all of my voice memos are gone after my upgrade to iOS 8 (currently running 8.0.2). If I reboot my 5S and open the voice memo app, it looks like it's trying to load the memos (looks very glitchy), then they all just disappear. My wife's is missing some on her 5S, too, but she does have some that show up; she updated to 8.0. Has anyone else experience this? I'm thinking that the memos aren't really deleted, but some bug is preventing them from loading into the voice memo app.

Thank you

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Assuming your speaking about your Native Notes app that back up to iCloud if you created an iCloud email address in the past

If you check your notes account you will notice that there's notes only on your device and your backed up icloud notes. You need to make sure they were sent to your cloud for them to be saved
3d5fe470324d9c64b0983bfa92c0dd57.jpg

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My apologies I see your referring to the voice memos. I'm not sure if there included in your icloud back up but are included in the iTunes back up

Which avenue did you use to update your devices?

pelorick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I do regular itunes backups (and iCloud), so they should have synced to itunes. I haven't checked itunes yet, but I always forget if it's a one way or two way sync. In other words, if itunes doesn't see the voice memos on my phone, will it remove the memos that have already been synced to iTunes?

pelorick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am also unable to record new voice memos. When I hit the record button, it just puts an empty new file in the list but you cannot play it (just like the others).

mrroman

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Same thing Happened to me! I updated today and when i went to record a song idea in the voice memos app, everything started going all haywire as you described. Anyone had success fixing the issue?

Eduardo Afl

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Do the following: Install an app called "Phone To Mac". Connect the phone to your mac/pc and open the application. Go to "Itunes backups", open the last backup you made before updating to IOS8. Go to "backup contents-media-media- recordings" and extract the *.m4a files to your desktop. That?s it! Worked for me and I could recover all my voice memos. Hope it works for you too.

Sedorf

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem here on a iPhone 6. iOS 8.02
Voice memos shows up after a reboot of the phone, then seems to try to load the memos, then crash... after launching the app again all is gone and not possible to record....

Peterhow

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Try this: In iTunes, right click (or control click) on the voice memo and select "show in finder"
A finder window will appear with the voice memo file that you saw in iTunes highlighted.
Now right click (or control click) on the file and select "open with>" and choose your favorite program for opening sound files (just don't choose the default iTunes).
Now you can save the file to a different format and different location.

tam ping kwan

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Voice Memos Missing After iphone upgraded to iOS 9.2.1

After my upgrading the iphone to iOS 9.2.1, all my original voice memos are lost. How can I get them back? Thanks.

pelorick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This was quite some time ago, so I don't remember the details. However, all of my voice memos came back (possibly after the next update). The only issue is that the original date of recording was not retained. However, I was so happy to have all the messages back that I wasn't bothered the incorrect recording dates. All memos after that have the correct date. I was not aware of any recovery software at the time. I had the memos backed up, so I knew they weren't completely gone. I just wanted them on my phone in the correct place.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sball68