Upgrading MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) to May 2015 model

Jonas Lood

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to understand if there are any significant advantages to upgrading the HW at this point? Does anyone have any real world experience that would suggest an upgrade would be appropriate at this point? I'm very happy with my current unit, that said, keeping up to date can be beneficial if there are some key advantages with the new model.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to understand if there are any significant advantages to upgrading the HW at this point? Does anyone have any real world experience that would suggest an upgrade would be appropriate at this point? I'm very happy with my current unit, that said, keeping up to date can be beneficial if there are some key advantages with the new model.

I have a 2012 rMBP (the original rMBP), and I have absolutely no reason to or interest in upgrading. This machine still does everything I ask of it, almost completely effortlessly. If you have $2500-3000 burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. I am standing pat. No reason for me to upgrade at this point.

co4nd

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I have an early 2013 15" retina MBP, processors haven't really made much of a leap in the last 3 years. Neither has many of the other components. I use my machine pretty heavy and I've never ran out of horse power. You could upgrade the HD in your existing unit, other world computing sells kits with directions, I've taken my back off to clean the motherboard and fans, seems to help the thermals when playing graphic intensive games.

Jonas Lood

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for these insights and I agree. I may upgrade my HD at some point, then again, with my photos on iCloud I just freed up a ton of space, so maybe not ;-)

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
15'' Pros are extremely powerful. CPUs in the last couple of years have made modest gains but you're still packing one of the most powerful chips on the market in that machine. RAM might be an issue if you bought one of the cheaper models but unfortunately there is not much you can do about that. Apple has finally put a slightly better GPU in the 15'' Pro so that might be something you'd want.

More storage is always nice but the retina MacBooks are not really user serviceable. The SSD can be replaced if you know what you are doing but replacements and upgrades are not necessarily cheap.

I wouldn't worry to much about upgrading the machine unless you are needing some cutting edge GPU tech in your mobile computer and there isn't much to be done there except trade in your old model as credit towards a new machine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77