Upgrading a MBP mid-2009 Hard Drive to SSD

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I consulted the Apple guy at Best Buy and just want to confirm his information before pulling the (figurative) trigger.

I have a MBP mid-2009 and its currently running El Capitan. I originally had 2GB of memory and recently did an upgrade to 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 from OWC (max GB for my machine). However, I still have a traditional hard drive in here. I am strongly considering upgrading to a SSD for more space, better boot time and disk speed.

I have not been able to find a limit on disk size or other compatibility concerns. Is there a limit on size or any other specs? Usually i would go to OWC but I was searching (general internet search with loose terms) and was thinking about getting a samsung SSD.

So hopefully I could get a few questions answered...

1) Is there any limits/ compatibility factors I need to focus on when choosing a SSD for my MBP? Size/speed, etc.
2) Any recommended brands?
3) Will this really speed up my system?

I'm trying to keep my MBP because it still has a CD Drive. The only thing wrong is the battery says "service battery". The battery on a good day will last a few hours on a charge, unless I'm doing heavy video watching or internet streaming/downloads. I'm really out of space and looking for more space and faster speeds. Any help would be absolutely amazing!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
1) Is there any limits/ compatibility factors I need to focus on when choosing a SSD for my MBP? Size/speed, etc.
2) Any recommended brands?
3) Will this really speed up my system?

1. There are no limits, just the size of your wallet and the maximum size SSD you can aquire.
2. Samsung. That is what I used for my 2010 MBP when I upgraded to an SSD. I recommend going to iFixit to make sure you are getting the proper one for your MBP.
3. Your machine will feel like it is new, especially since you have already upgraded the RAM. Even without the RAM upgrade it would be fast.

Mine still runs great and is super fast. It has also extended the life of my MBP for a few more years. Was it worth it? Every penny!

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
1. There are no limits, just the size of your wallet and the maximum size SSD you can aquire.
2. Samsung. That is what I used for my 2010 MBP when I upgraded to an SSD. I recommend going to iFixit to make sure you are getting the proper one for your MBP.
3. Your machine will feel like it is new, especially since you have already upgraded the RAM. Even without the RAM upgrade it would be fast.

Mine still runs great and is super fast. It has also extended the life of my MBP for a few more years. Was it worth it? Every penny!

Did you experience the battery symptom I have? If so, have you replaced it or left it alone?

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Changed mine a couple years ago. Normal wear & tear for a battery. They only have so many charge cycles.
I meant to quote you on my last post, sorry

Ok, went to the website you suggested and its leaving me with 2 last questions...

1) Is there a physical size of the drive I need to watch for? Will I need a bracket or anything special?
2) The website lists three different SATA 6.0 Gb/s, so if i go on Amazon and look up "Samsung SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD" will that be sufficient?
3) would this SSD work for me? http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2747341

Edit: Ifixit did not list a samsung for my machine
Edit 2: Added item 3

Last edited:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I meant to quote you on my last post, sorry

Ok, went to the website you suggested and its leaving me with 2 last questions...

1) Is there a physical size of the drive I need to watch for? Will I need a bracket or anything special?
2) The website lists three different SATA 6.0 Gb/s, so if i go on Amazon and look up "Samsung SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD" will that be sufficient?
3) would this SSD work for me? Robot Check

Edit: Ifixit did not list a samsung for my machine
Edit 2: Added item 3

1. Only thickness and the one you linked is well within the limits. No bracket needed. Just the tools to do it properly.
3. Yes that drive will work fine.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Last question I promise... Did you get an EVO or Pro SSD? I'm thinking about just getting the EVO

I went with the Pro. But the Evo is cheaper and the average person in day to day use would not notice the difference. Where you might see differences would be if you were a gamer. There is approximately about a 10% speed difference between the two drives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2