Updated iPhone specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I agree about the design, but not about the BRICK part. I think most people just get tired of the Treo design, it basically hasn't changed since the 600. That doesn't make it a brick, and to be honest of all 3 phones I have, the Treo 750 is by far the most ergonomical (blackjack, 8525). I still alternate phones here and there, but if I had to choose one I'd have to go with the Treo.

entirely fine, just know that i didn't coin the "brick" reference which you can find littered throughout much of the other devices forum if not TreoCentral. i guess they refer to it that way since it's one of the more heavy and bulky smartphone/pda choices out there.

regards

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I agree about the design, but not about the BRICK part. I think most people just get tired of the Treo design, it basically hasn't changed since the 600. That doesn't make it a brick, and to be honest of all 3 phones I have, the Treo 750 is by far the most ergonomical (blackjack, 8525). I still alternate phones here and there, but if I had to choose one I'd have to go with the Treo.
Today, the Treo is still the best device for me. People sometimes ask, "Isn't that too big?!" Sometimes I blush...

It's all about what you, the individual, needs. If the iPhone suits your needs, then it's for you. If not, stay with the Treo or whatever. Why all the iPhone bashing? Because it's different? There's a lot of hype? The stock is rising? You hate black mock turtleneck?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
There's only one true certified iPhone basher here. I won't mention any names, but I'm sure you all know. :D

I myself am just trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle. So I ask questions about what I'm getting myself into. If only they hadn't tied it up with ATT so tightly!! I don't even think you can buy the iPhone through Apple, all ads say ATT only. Due to that, they lose flexibility and I am not a fan of that.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
apple store reps continue to say june 29, 6pm...any related additional info they don't seem to have.

don't worry Lady Treo, even if you don't try it out the next gal will giving her the chance to put it under her signature as a testing device. :)

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
But are they selling it outright, or do you have to get a new ATT contract?

I have ATT but don't need another line.

I'm pretty sure you could just sign a new 2 year contract, I don't know know if you would get the same price on the phone but that's usually how it works.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
But are they selling it outright, or do you have to get a new ATT contract?

I have ATT but don't need another line.

You HAVE to renew your contract, but AT&T is going to allow everyone to renew, regardless of how old (or new) their contract is. There's only one price for the phone, as of now, and that's it.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Actually, in all fairness, Malatesta was not answering the question that was asked, but felt the compunction to deliver a sermon about everything else he knew. :)
Er...I provided context to the discussion, since you seem to think OTA by Microsoft is something they could just do, but never bothered with...

Second, I did say this, which as far as I can tell...does answer your question:

When did MS/Palm/HTC/etc makes these firmware updates available over the air?

Answer #2
WM6 has a OTA WinUpdater built in to it to allow updates to the OS regardless of carriers.

Even earlier, Answer #1:
The question has been answered already: with WM6 in March.

Methinks you need to read more carefully...I mean, I even provided a picture (should I draw a map?). :rolleyes:

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Er...I provided context to the discussion, since you seem to think OTA by Microsoft is something they could just do, but never bothered with...

Given the context of when the question was asked, and the measures of avoidance being used by yourself and Surur at that time [pages 7-8] regarding iPhone OTA OS updates comparatively, your historical revisionism is obviously noted. Take the discussion as a whole on those pages, if[/]b you're going to trouble yourself with a lecture on context now and correct all the ill-conceived responses of your compatriots. Is it just boilerplate with you [pot] guys to call the kettle black?

Apparently, only in your own uniquely biased way.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Its pretty stupid to expect ROM updates OTA. But you do expect ROM updates over the air. Thats pretty stupid.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
You HAVE to renew your contract, but AT&T is going to allow everyone to renew, regardless of how old (or new) their contract is. There's only one price for the phone, as of now, and that's it.

Due to storage, 2 prices to choose from. But it looks like many will get the 8GB at $600.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
And WM has Windows Update, and O2 has O2 plus download agent. That does not mean its sensible, and will result in more bricked devices. Also in UK, how much will it cost to download a 45 Mb ROM update? About ?60 to 120?

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
There were a huge number of Mac updates this year, at least once per month.
22 according to the log on my MacBook. Four are labelled as security updates, others are a mixture of bug fixes, adding new features (e.g. iTunes updated to enable buying of DRM free music), or other performance enhancements (e.g. battery firmware update).

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
And WM has Windows Update, and O2 has O2 plus download agent. That does not mean its sensible, and will result in more bricked devices.
I would certainly hope there would be quality control to ensure that that's not the case. The plus side of OTA is that you're not tied to a particular desktop OS if that's all your phone/OS maker supports (Nokia Software updater for instance is Windows only).

Also in UK, how much will it cost to download a 45 Mb ROM update? About ?60 to 120?
... or nothing above what you pay now if you have an unlimited data plan or a Wifi phone and Wifi access. The latter is probably preferable because it's quicker.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Doesn't help a Treo 750v with no wifi (without wifi card), does it, especially with Vodafone and their poor data plans.

Didn't the self-same Nokia have huge issues with bricked devices after allowing ROM updates at home for the first time?

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Sorry for another Nokia perspective :)

The reason MS has "just gotten around to it" is because they found a way to update the OS while not stepping on every single Carrier's toes for software approval, which is a huge, huge hurdle.

I can tell you the reason why devices do not get updated has less to do with MS and more to do with Carriers/Manufactures.
Firmware updates for unlocked, unbranded S60 phones are available months before the carrier-specific updates to the same firmware version. I guess the delay in the latter could reflect either time required to add carrier specific features and/or time required by carriers to test (probably both?). I might be missing something, but I don't really see why WM OEMs couldn't adopt the same policy.

Btw, it is the WM OEMs that are relevant here rather than MS isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien