Unlock with Apple Watch

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been using MacID but this is a welcome update! Native is better than 3rd party! Yay!

Being able to unlock my MacBook Pro with my watch is a huge time saver. I'm thinking this will be more efficient than MacID.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm excited. MacID works great but hiccups now and then. May be the same this way but who knows. We will see!

I can't get MacID to work right for me, esp the proximity feature. I hope the native functionality works better.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand how  Pay on the Mac with use the fingerprint recognition feature on you iPhone to authenticate the transactions but not be able to use it to unlock the Mac.
Only on the Watch.
Good Luck

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand how  Pay on the Mac with use the fingerprint recognition feature on you iPhone to authenticate the transactions but not be able to use it to unlock the Mac.
Only on the Watch.
Good Luck
MacID can unlock the Mac with either the watch or the phone. You do need to tell your watch to unlock (or ignore) and on the phone the notification pops up asking if you want to unlock. The way I understand the new system is the watch is automatically authenticated (without an additional step) while you wear it without needing to interface with the watch itself.

There are also rumors of TouchID on the new MBP as well, so we'll have to see if they announce phone support at that time as well.

twinlight

May 25, 2015
Visit site
This actually makes me speculate that touchid may not turn up on the new macs. One more reason to get a watch instead.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been using TokenLock for years to achieve this kind of functionality. I tried MacID, however the fact the app needs to always be running on iOS (unless I missed something) didn't appeal to me. Whilst TokenLock isn't pretty, it doesn't require any software on your Bluetooth device, so it supports anything that pairs.

If we see a hardware update to Apple Watch that allows for always visibile time and built in GPS, then I'll make a purchase and then get to use this feature.

I've not seen any screen shots or other info on the auto unlock feature, is it currently implemented in the Beta or are we still waiting for this feature to be released in a future beta?

Happy testing everyone.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Sadly no unlock yet, the following is from the release noes

Functionality not in macOS 10.12 beta
Faces in the Photos app do not sync across your devices.
The ability for your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac is not in this seed.

Here is a link to the release notes, as if you are running Sierra beta, a few other things might be interesting to you (some nasty things might bite you, specifically with contacts+3rd part apps, notes folders re-appearing, SMB changes, VPN changes etc).

http://adcdownload.apple.com/WWDC_2...ease_Notes/macOS_10.12_beta_Release_Notes.pdf

For once I'm actually waiting a bit to see these things cleared up, as to be honest most of the space saving improvements & other features I wouldn't look to use with un-reliable (or more importantly un-supported) beta code. But that decision could change at any moment......because I'm a little crazy like that.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So apparently with beta 2 of Sierra the unlock with Apple Watch feature is now live but where the setting is supposed to be it's not there and this is what I see when searching in system preferences.

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 1.39.20 AM.png

This is is what comes up when searching settings and the option isn't there. I have my watch paired to my phone, passcode on my watch, everything signed into the same iCloud account and 2FA setup so I don't get it.

GRR so I guess I didn't see this but you need a MacBook from 2013 or newer to use the Auto Unlock with Apple Watch! That sucks! I have a Mid-2012 MBP :(

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meh