Thunderbolt 2 ports

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a late-2013 MBP, 15", with two thunderbolt 2 ports.I bought an adapter to plug in an ethernet cable into one of the ports, but can't find an adapter to use the other port with my data hub. I guess that I need a male thunderbolt 2 to a female usb cable. Can't find one on Amazon. Anyone know of a good source for electronics? Thanks.:confused:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
My data hub uses a USB male, so I guess I need a thunderbolt male to a USB female.

You would need a Thunderbolt USB controller. The Thunderbolt 2 ports are typically not connected to the USB controller.
I had a look on NewEgg, but I couldn't find anything there either :(

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
The two Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort sockets are useless for anyone unless they use an ethernet or html cable. At least this MBP has a usb connection on either side. In order for me to use my data hub from one of those TB sockets, I would need, at least, a TB3 to TB cable & a usb to TB3 cable. Not worth the effort or the price. Now I see why they stopped putting those TB/MiniDisplayPorts into their MBPs. Waste of space.:mad:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
The two Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort sockets are useless for anyone unless they use an ethernet or html cable. At least this MBP has a usb connection on either side. In order for me to use my data hub from one of those TB sockets, I would need, at least, a TB3 to TB cable & a usb to TB3 cable. Not worth the effort or the price. Now I see why they stopped putting those TB/MiniDisplayPorts into their MBPs. Waste of space.:mad:

Actually, you could plug a eGPU or a drive on those Thunderbolt 2 ports.

Thunderbolt 2 was very uncommon. The main reason is because the other manufacturers didn't build computers with that port.
This changed with Thunderbolt 3 and the USB type C connector.

Also, as far as I know, there are no Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB type C) connector adapter, only Thunderbolt 3 to 2. :(

rvthof

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Apple sells an adapter Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2. It works both directions. I use it to connect TB3 device to TB2 port on a 2015 iMac.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods