This iOS 17 feature has changed the way I use Messages forever— here’s how you can use it too

graclarkey

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
It’s taken Apple 3 years to introduce this missing “feature”, since it first introduced the ability to reply to a message — which was also years behind its instant messaging competitors.
Does the Apple Messages/iMessage development team live inside an actual vacuum where it never tries out the competition!?
Next up please: join forces with the Photos department to fix the clunky and longwinded way of sharing from the Photos app to the Messages app? Why on Earth can’t you pick from recent conversations, rather than having to manually type the person or people you want to share the photos with?
And what about the even more cumbersome set of steps required to forward a message to another contact?
Quick-swipe in Photos to select multiple, consecutive photos/videos from your camera roll at the same time … ? Why, after literally several years, has this not been been replicated in Messages? Has the Photos team patented it for themselves!?!

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It’s taken Apple 3 years to introduce this missing “feature”, since it first introduced the ability to reply to a message — which was also years behind its instant messaging competitors.
Does the Apple Messages/iMessage development team live inside an actual vacuum where it never tries out the competition!?
Next up please: join forces with the Photos department to fix the clunky and longwinded way of sharing from the Photos app to the Messages app? Why on Earth can’t you pick from recent conversations, rather than having to manually type the person or people you want to share the photos with?
And what about the even more cumbersome set of steps required to forward a message to another contact?
Quick-swipe in Photos to select multiple, consecutive photos/videos from your camera roll at the same time … ? Why, after literally several years, has this not been been replicated in Messages? Has the Photos team patented it for themselves!?!
Your suggestions are really good, and thought provoking. You might want to submit them to Apple via their Messages Feedback page: https://www.apple.com/feedback/messages-ios-ipados.html

Reactions: graclarkey

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I find it easy to share photos in iMessage. Especially in iOS 17. Just long press the + left of the iMessage bar. The photos come right up. Tap the one you want. I never did start in photos to share in iMessage. Always done in Messages.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

graclarkey

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
I find it easy to share photos in iMessage. Especially in iOS 17. Just long press the + left of the iMessage bar. The photos come right up. Tap the one you want. I never did start in photos to share in iMessage. Always done in Messages.
That’s great, and yes you can already share direct from the Messages app in iOS 16. But if you’ve got lots of photos that look similar, it’s not always easy to choose the ones you want to share based on the small thumbnail view of photos you are presented with in Messages.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That’s great, and yes you can already share direct from the Messages app in iOS 16. But if you’ve got lots of photos that look similar, it’s not always easy to choose the ones you want to share based on the small thumbnail view of photos you are presented with in Messages.

For multiple photos I prefer selecting them in photos and then dragging them to iMessage. It’s quite fast

Reactions: Annie_M

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
How do you "drag" photos from Camera roll to messages on iPhone? Do you refer to using the share sheet?

Nope. Drag and drop

You select an image with your finger and hold until it minimizes, then select any other pictures from your photo library while holding the first pic, and when your done either swipe across the bottom to go back to iMessage or swipe up into the home screen to select the messages app, and drop it into the message you want to send

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Drag and drop

You select an image with your finger and hold until it minimizes, then select any other pictures from your photo library while holding the first pic, and when your done either swipe across the bottom to go back to iMessage or swipe up into the home screen to select the messages app, and drop it into the message you want to send

This doesn’t work. Not on iPhone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Small thumbnails? They look plenty big. This is after I long press the +. Then I simply tap the ones I want to share.
c7b59a725f5ac1fc85c1990f348d5590.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In the photos app, it’s easier if you use two separate fingers.

I've tried it upside down and backwards. There's no way to drag a photo from photos to messages on iPhone.
What is your definition of "drag"?
I did just one image. But it was very difficult. Much better my way.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Nah. That's too much trouble. It's too difficult to drag them to messages. I like doing it from in Messages better. It's easier and quicker.

You were trying to do drag and drop in the iMessage photo extension .

Not difficult at all once you get used to it, especially using safari.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Safari? I use the apps on iPhone. I actually did manage to drag 1 photo from my camera roll on iPhone to the Messages app. It was difficult though.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Works with all apple apps not just safari.

Works even better when selecting multiple photos You just need practice, hit the links I posted to see how it’s done.

graclarkey

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
Small thumbnails? They look plenty big. This is after I long press the +. Then I simply tap the ones I want to share.
c7b59a725f5ac1fc85c1990f348d5590.jpg
Inspired by your post, I’ve just realised that you can actually swipe up on the smaller, upper horizontal bar, which gives you an almost-full screen, making it more similar to selecting direct from Photos … Still no swipe-to-select consecutive photos though!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77