The iPhone 12 mini has 'likely disappointed Apple' with mini sales

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With all the rage being for larger sized smartphones, I’d like to think Apple expected sales of the iPhone 12 mini to be somewhat low.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
With all the rage being for larger sized smartphones, I’d like to think Apple expected sales of the iPhone 12 mini to be somewhat low.

Agreed... yet there must have been a significant number of people who desired a smaller iPhone. Since there were 4 new variations of the iPhone 12, I can easily understand that numbers of people choosing the mini are lower than the other 3. Also, if Apple hadn’t released the SE earlier in 2020, the number of iPhone 12 Mini sold would most probably be greater.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Annie_M;[URL="tel:3238210" said:
3238210[/URL]].... if Apple hadn’t released the SE earlier in 2020, the number of iPhone 12 Mini sold would most probably be greater.
Excellent point and I’m in agreement with you...;)

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Mini is my dream phone came true. Small, compact, square side, glass finished ... as my 1st iphone 5

Since I upgraded to ip7 5 years ago, newer iphone with full screen, some potrait ability on cam, faster chip, animoji, only did a little “wish to have” for me. But with a new somewhat old design, it peaked my interest.

If apple lower the price a little bit, maybe the sales will be better. With $100 diff, people who wants smaller phone would still concern with the battery capacity and choose ip12 over mini. If only, maybe $150 cheaper, people will accept smaller battery compensated by the lower price

paulnorw

Jan 21, 2021
Visit site
I love iPhones, and I love compact phones. However, I stick to older models as I am a bit over-cautious person, and here is what I have learnt on latest 'novelties' in iOS: "When installing a third-party battery, or a genuine replacement, outside of Apple's authorized repair network, the latest version of iOS displays a new "Service" battery message in the Settings menu that suggests the cell has an undiagnosed problem, disallowing users from accessing Battery Health information." I guess this might cause a major drop in iPhone sales, mini is no exception. Source: https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-pushes-consumers-toward-official-replacement:raised-eyebrow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Mini is my dream phone came true. Small, compact, square side, glass finished ... as my 1st iphone 5

Since I upgraded to ip7 5 years ago, newer iphone with full screen, some potrait ability on cam, faster chip, animoji, only did a little “wish to have” for me. But with a new somewhat old design, it peaked my interest.

If apple lower the price a little bit, maybe the sales will be better. With $100 diff, people who wants smaller phone would still concern with the battery capacity and choose ip12 over mini. If only, maybe $150 cheaper, people will accept smaller battery compensated by the lower price

piqued !

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This is what gets me. Original owners of the 2016 SE (4.87 inches) have been crying out forEVER for another SE. So, in April of 2020, Apple released another SE, but it was more the size of an iPhone 8. SE fanciers seemed to go for it happily. Then, 7 months later, they announced the 5.4 inch iPhone 12 Mini. And there is speculation that iPhone Mini sales have been disappointing? I don't think disappointing is the right word. I think that combining sales of the 2nd Gen SE and the iPhone 12 Mini gives a clearer picture.

zauzzo

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
I love iPhones, and I love compact phones. However, I stick to older models as I am a bit over-cautious person, and here is what I have learnt on latest 'novelties' in iOS: "When installing a third-party battery, or a genuine replacement, outside of Apple's authorized repair network, the latest version of iOS displays a new "Service" battery message in the Settings menu that suggests the cell has an undiagnosed problem, disallowing users from accessing Battery Health information." I guess this might cause a major drop in iPhone sales, mini is no exception. Source: https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-pushes-consumers-toward-official-replacement:raised-eyebrow:
I believe the issue you have mentioned is rather exaggerated. Here is basically why: 'Nothing has changed. The only thing that is different now is that it says Battery Health – Service. Yes, actually, it does not necessarily need service. It just means: “I do not detect the original battery.”' https://appleworld.today/2020/12/19/opinion-getting-back-to-the-iphone-battery-service-issue/ Sorry if that is too straightforward, I do not mean to be rude:)