so i went to meet a guy last weekend to buy an iPhone 5 (Craigslist)

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Holy Crap really? :cant-watch: Not doing anymore deals on Craigslist or Kijiji.. Ebay only.

Makes me nervous too but I have a good system that I posted earlier. I ALWAYS meet in the lobby of my local PD and most everyone I have sold to has been totally fine with it. There have been a couple of times over the past few years (prior to my PD rule) that I met at a Starbucks or something like that I got a really bad vibe from the buyer. Walked right off. You have to be careful and be aware of your surroundings. I feel bad about the guy that I read about and hope the thief gets what is coming to him.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
How did you get burned by Paypal? Aslong you send the items that worth alot with signature and tracking theres no worries.

For a long time paypal was known to protect buyers and burn sellers. From what I gather it has improved but I will never give them my business. I also had my identity stolen a couple of years back and the person opened up a fraudulent paypal account under my name and eventually abandoned it with a high negative balance. PayPal still refuses to fix it and says I am liable for the balance... This I am still working on. That's my only contact with them.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Craigslist has always been shady to me, but it does seem that it's getting worse as time goes on.

A good friend of mine was scammed on a CL purchase a few months ago. She replied to an ad about an iPhone 4S and ended up meeting the guy to make the purchase. Everything appeared to go well until she brought it into a Verizon to activate it when she realized it was a Jailbroken iPhone 4, not a 4S. Apparently she checked to see if it had Siri, as this was the only way she knew to tell the difference between the 4 and 4S. Being jailbroken, it had Siri hacked onto the device, so for someone in her position, it was almost impossible for her to tell the difference until it was too late.

Needless to say, I told her if she's ever gonna do something like this again, she needs to let me know and I'll go with her. Lol.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
A guy I work with just sold his phone on craigslist and five minutes later reported it stolen so he could get a new phone for the deductible. He's generally a nice guy but in his mid 20's and thinks he knows everything about how the world works.

Chris Kerrigan

May 14, 2013
Visit site
A guy I work with just sold his phone on craigslist and five minutes later reported it stolen so he could get a new phone for the deductible. He's generally a nice guy but in his mid 20's and thinks he knows everything about how the world works.

Wow, really? Excuse my language but that's a d*** move.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

This is exactly the reason why I would never purchase a used phone without documented proof of the transaction.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll still buy stuff like lawn chairs, jack stands, anything mechanical or fixed that I can evaluate on the spot. Nothing electronic......

mudbuny

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I have sold and traded 8 or 10 phones, all off of craigslist. Only one time did I have an issue, but it ended up working out. After reading some of these stories about what COULD happen, I'm a little leery. I have always met at the verizon store to make sure phone will activate successfully. But I guess that doesn't guarantee anything either if someone can then report it stolen.

duck-wes

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to selling an iPhone on Craigslist. My question is that if I give someone my paypal and they send me money and it clears, how am I being scammed? How do I make sure the money is good before I send the phone? Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien