Snapshots and High Sierra keeping free space hostage

Coffee4ever

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I just got a new 1TB SSD thinking I would have more space but I don't know what's going on lately. I deleted 60GB in files earlier, then 45GB of a windows Parallels VM and 55GB in Mail since mail was also driving me nuts. Not a single GB of space was freed up today though.

I use time machine and unchecked to automatically back up, I just do it once a day from the app icon in the menu bar. I did a back up and restarted, shut down, still no free space given back to me. I have 234GB free now but still 160GB is a lot of space for the system to keep a hold of.

I don't know if its held up in snapshots or its the result of using time machine? I like time machine but if it means I will never know truly how much space I have free I can't live with this. At least in the Apple Menu and view storage it should show us how much space its hiding. I remember I would see purgeable space there before but I don't see it anymore.

Is this just how it is now on APFS? Or can I help my trouble by not using time machine anymore? As a geek I just want more control over things but too much going on behind the scenes is bothering me when I want the storage I just paid so much to install in my Mac to be under my control.

Coffee4ever

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I thought I would update here... I remembered Carbon Copy Cloner shows snapshots so I went into there and looked at my main drive and there were many some 41GB in size alone in a single snapshot. I deleted them all and turned off snapshots in CCC and went from having 234GB free to 491GB free in a few seconds. I know CCC added this feature recently but I need to read the documentation better. I would consider my problem solved now though.

For any process to be holding 257GB of space I can't touch is so frustrating though and I don't think it should of happened. I'm grateful I can easily delete that in CCC but I don't know if I deleted CCC's snapshots or the Mac. I will check in the terminal.. yes, I just typed tmutil listlocalsnapshots / and none were listed compared to earlier when I did it and there were 21 of them. Why the OS or time machine thinks they need to keep 21 is beyond me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2