Set up as new iPhone? What happens to icloud?

erik321

Feb 12, 2021
Visit site
Hey! I have an iPhone to which I have backed up all the content.

But if I reset the phone and set it up as a new iphone and log in with the exact same apple id, what happens to the old backup? Will it still take up all storage on my icloud?

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
That back stays until your phone syncs iCloud while you're asleep and charging. Then it will override the backup you currently have. So if you have any pictures you need saving download them to your computer

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey! I have an iPhone to which I have backed up all the content.

But if I reset the phone and set it up as a new iphone and log in with the exact same apple id, what happens to the old backup? Will it still take up all storage on my icloud?
If you're setting up your iPhone as new, you are opting NOT to install from a backup. With that being said, your previous backups to iCloud will remain in iCloud and not on your iPhone. The backup is not the same as synced data like your contacts, calendars, reminders, notes, images, etcetera. If I've misunderstood your post, my apologies.

erik321

Feb 12, 2021
Visit site
So if I restore my iphone and set it up as new, Will the Old backup be ovveride? It Will not continue to take up place ?

The Main reason I want to do this is because ”Other” is taking up 40gb of space, and I have already restored the iPhone and set it up with back up but the other storage doesnet go away

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So if I restore my iphone and set it up as new, Will the Old backup be ovveride? It Will not continue to take up place ?

The Main reason I want to do this is because ”Other” is taking up 40gb of space, and I have already restored the iPhone and set it up with back up but the other storage doesnet go away

After you restore the iCloud backup it could take up to a few days, depending on how big your backup is, for the “other” to start shrinking. The phone indexes the restore.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you restore your device and then set it up as new, it will be like it was when you initially purchased the iPhone. Nothing will be on it except the default Apple apps and settings.

Restoring your device with a backup is essentially putting restoring the problem you’re trying to get rid of.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2