Security recommendation password leak ios14

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
1Password is not the only password manager out there. There are others, like LastPass and KeePass that work differently and are free.
Using a dedicated password manager is mostly for convenience; I don't need to save the same password at 3-4 different places like Keychain on macOS/iOS and Microsoft Edge on Windows. They usually have extensions that allow to integrate with different web browsers on traditional computers, or with the operating system on mobile devices.

If you use a long password, which in an ideal world everyone would, the password would always be saved in your password manager. For example, 1Password does provide you with a website where you can access your saved passwords, if you sync with their service and you provide the login page with your email, your password, unique encryption key and second factor authentication method.

I understand what you mean regarding the password manager

For the long password thingy

let say, in some occasion, you don’t have access for your usual devices, and you need to logon to your email urgently, you need to either borrow someone’s phone or internet cafe to do that. With the impossible to remember password generated from password generator, you need to login to your password manager website so you can access to those random characters. And another thing is, the main 1 password for the password manager is the key to all your password right ? Do you use long character as well ? Since this is the gateway which need the most security ever. How to remember that long random characters ?

I’m just curious, if I really rely on the password generator to create such characters, I felt that I have no control and no ability to remember, on something crucial

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
let say, in some occasion, you don’t have access for your usual devices, and you need to logon to your email urgently, you need to either borrow someone’s phone or internet cafe to do that. With the impossible to remember password generated from password generator, you need to login to your password manager website so you can access to those random characters. And another thing is, the main 1 password for the password manager is the key to all your password right ? Do you use long character as well ? Since this is the gateway which need the most security ever. How to remember that long random characters ?
It happened to me exactly once in about 10 years I've been using some sort of password manager.
Usually, I'm never far away from a backup device, at most 200km away.
This said, I end up learning my email's password by the way of simply typing it in by hand.

The rule of thumb with me is that if you're sending me an email, it's not urgent by design.

I’m just curious, if I really rely on the password generator to create such characters, I felt that I have no control and no ability to remember, on something crucial
The password manager's password would be the one you remember, and it would be a long nonsensical phrase (5 or 6 long words, with characters substituted by symbols/numbers).

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
It happened to me exactly once in about 10 years I've been using some sort of password manager.
Usually, I'm never far away from a backup device, at most 200km away.
This said, I end up learning my email's password by the way of simply typing it in by hand.

The rule of thumb with me is that if you're sending me an email, it's not urgent by design.

The password manager's password would be the one you remember, and it would be a long nonsensical phrase (5 or 6 long words, with characters substituted by symbols/numbers).

And if a long nonsensical phrase is “safe” enough for “the” password, why for others, we need the long random characters pass ? I understand that gives layer of security etc, but well ... it’s debatable lol

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
The password you type into the password manager should not leave your computer, if the password manager's design is done correctly. If you're syncing with a cloud service, like iCloud or Dropbox, it's only the encrypted blob of "unreadable" data that's sent over.

It turns out you don't need to sync the password with the blob to decrypt it on another device ;)