• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Restore and set up as new iPhone

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I know how to do it and that many do it but my question... is it common practice to restore as new phone after an iOS update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k_kjong

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, that is what I do with my 4S. before I restored my iPhone from my backup, but now I prefer to set it up as a new device. I like how it feels refreshed when I restore it as a new device. and more often than not, it minimizes the risk of some bugs happening because of the new version of iOS. But that maybe is just my opinion. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some set it up as new and others do not. As for me, I usually update OTA just to get a quick feel for the new OS, but a day or so later, I restore as new. ;) My device seems cleaner, so to speak.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
That's kinda what I figured. I got iOS 5.1.1 OTA on it's release date and things seemed fine for a while but lately I've been experiencing faster than normal battery drain. I've seen that restoring as new seems to help these types of things so I did it. For a while, I thought restoring as new was simply resetting the settings. LOL :confused:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
after restoring as new it may take a cycle or two to see optimum results regarding battery performance

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
after restoring as new it may take a cycle or two to see optimum results regarding battery performance

Cool.. I planned to run it down to dead or as close as I can before recharging but now I'm home on wifi so it might be a challenge.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No I do not. I only restore and set up as new if I have been having issues. My first iPhone was a 3GS at release and I have set up as new maybe twice.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
No I do not. I only restore and set up as new if I have been having issues. My first iPhone was a 3GS at release and I have set up as new maybe twice.

That's why I did it. I swear my battery wasn't supposed to be draining as fast as it was

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That's why I did it. I swear my battery wasn't supposed to be draining as fast as it was

which i find very odd because you do not jailbreak?

i always thought it was a good idea to just randomly restore as new every once in a while - clean things up if you will

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
which i find very odd because you do not jailbreak?

i always thought it was a good idea to just randomly restore as new every once in a while - clean things up if you will

If Apple ever allows us to backup game data through iCloud, I might restore as new more often. Since I am a gamer on my iPhone, I will only restore if I see a problem. If it's not broke, why fix it? Most times if I have a issue, just doing a restore and loading my backup will fix the problem. Rarely do I need to set up as new.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
This is kinda how the day has gone...

View attachment 16963
View attachment 16962
View attachment 16961

Not very good but my signal struggles at work sometimes

your right, not outstanding but not terrible either especially if your phone struggles with signal. Hopefully after you let the battery run down completely and charge back up yo'll see more of an improvement

I gotta tell ya, seeing this and some others with 5.1.1 deal with this issue is why i'm sticking with 5.0.1 for now. i know i sound like a broken record, but i know what battery life i get on 5.0.1 & i'm satisfied with the function of my phone on it as well:)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
your right, not outstanding but not terrible either especially if your phone struggles with signal. Hopefully after you let the battery run down completely and charge back up yo'll see more of an improvement

I gotta tell ya, seeing this and some others with 5.1.1 deal with this issue is why i'm sticking with 5.0.1 for now. i know i sound like a broken record, but i know what battery life i get on 5.0.1 & i'm satisfied with the function of my phone on it as well:)

Honestly... I miss my 4 on 5.0.1 :-( lol

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
And as I suspected, I'm catching hell trying to kill the battery. I knew it would be difficult on wifi so I turned it off. Lol

aefcbeca-adce-f1d4.jpg

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think my issue at work is signal because at home on wifi its hard as heck to drain the battery

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman