Possibly The Dumbest Pre-Order Question Ever

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is REALLY stupid and I feel like a tool even asking this but I had a slight glitch ordering my 6S+ last night. Earlier in the day I went into the Apple Store app to make sure my credit card details were correct, updated my expiration date and CVV, saved, checked a few more times and they were definitely correct. 3am I put in my order, checked out, all seemed well. A few minutes later I got a declined notification from my Chase card. I couldn't do anything with my Apple Store order at the time so I called my credit card and they told me that the charge came through with my old expiration date, not the new one which I had updated earlier in the day and saved.

So, in a panic, I went back into the Apple Store app and noticed that I could reserve the same phone I had ordered for store pickup on the 25th, so I did. I got a confirmation email for the 9-9:30am reservation within seconds.

Now I have two phones ordered, though I have to go in and correct the credit card details on my shipping order. Honestly, I would prefer to pick up my phone in the store (it's 10 minutes away) than wait all day for UPS to show up and sweat that out.

My dumb question is : If I cancel my shipping order, is the in-store reservation a guarantee that they'll have it for me on launch day despite the fact that it's not pre-paid like last year's store pickups?

Please don't roast me.. just my paranoia kicking in :)

tyler_barnhardt

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You should be alright. However, If you can fork the money for both of them you might be able to sell the second one a couple days after the launch if there is a shortage. Make a little extra money.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When the 5S was released, I went in to buy an additional gold model to flip and watched as people with these "reservations" went in and were told the model they wanted was not in stock (I think they were all looking for the larger capacity gold 5S's that day)...and they left very disappointed. Without a confirmation that you have a phone being shipped or waiting for you somewhere, I would never put a 100% guarantee on it.

W1ck3D86

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You should be alright. However, If you can fork the money for both of them you might be able to sell the second one a couple days after the launch if there is a shortage. Make a little extra money.

I doubt it u will make profit, unless u ordered a pink gold maybe. IPhone 6 was special cause it was a new design, 6s isn't. Just a few smaller hardware updates. So many ppl who bought a 6 are waiting for the 7 next year.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

azimesmail

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I doubt it u will make profit, unless u ordered a pink gold maybe. IPhone 6 was special cause it was a new design, 6s isn't. Just a few smaller hardware updates. So many ppl who bought a 6 are waiting for the 7 next year.

I see new iPhones being sold for double the price once sold out in stores here in Canada. People are crazy. I just ordered a Space Grey 128GB, I could sell it once it gets delivered for $2000+.

tyler_barnhardt

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I hear what you're saying but I have experienced people quickly rushing to eBay or Craigslist when the Apple store and other carriers run out on the opening week and paying hundreds more. Again, I'm not even saying its worth your time but the OP might be able make a couple hundred bucks.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks for the advice, all. I've updated my CC info on my online order and it's all set to ship on the 25th. I took a vacation day from work so I can hang out and wait for UPS to arrive :)

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
There are no 100% guarantees, but you should be fine with the in-store reservation.

My understanding in stopping by the store is that they will have two stocks. One for those that reserved a phone with a model wanted via reservation and one stock they will have for those that just show up. There will be 2 lines and those that have a reservation are guaranteed a phone. I understand this has been a mess in the past, but from what I've seen posted last year all this worked well without anyone walking away disappointed unless they were late for their scheduled appointment time.

sincere11105

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks for the advice, all. I've updated my CC info on my online order and it's all set to ship on the 25th. I took a vacation day from work so I can hang out and wait for UPS to arrive :)
You can also have it relocated to your local ups store and pick it up once they open. Then go to work. Save that vacation day and still have the phone. That's what I'm doing

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jp8