Please help improve iMessage

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, I hope so.

Can I get people to take a couple minutes to go to apple feed back and request a feature in iMessage that should really already be there, I've enclosed a link to make it easy.

It would be nice to have schedule to send later feature. I know you can do it in shortcuts, but why not just do it from imessage it's there and easy to do, and I don't see where you can send pictures later in shortcuts, but either way why not simplify the process. I've used the send later feature in the email on iphone and it was a very simple process, easier then Android.

So I'm asking for help to get several requests for this feature. Please take a couple minutes to ask for it, I would appreciate it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I love the idea, and have sent the feedback, giving what I think are very good reasons (eg, the person who I want to send to I know would be distracted or would cause a distraction with a message notification now, but I may forget or be unable to send the message later.)

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
I love the idea, and have sent the feedback, giving what I think are very good reasons (eg, the person who I want to send to I know would be distracted or would cause a distraction with a message notification now, but I may forget or be unable to send the message later.)

I am usually up at 4 AM and it’s nice to send the message at 9 AM to not wake someone up. I have an older mother that forgets things, I can schedule a message to her next week to remind her. There’s countless reasons.

Thanks for sending feedback in, maybe if we get enough to do it Apple might pay attention.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I think this would be a good feature.

MacOS Mail can schedule, as can Samsung Messages (for a mobile phone operating system app example).

Maybe the Mail "code/logic" could be leveraged for iOS Messages.

Update. The Apple discussion below indicates that it is possible to schedule using Shortcuts.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, mark me down as one who has no interest in a “send later” feature for iMessage.

If I sent you a message, I don’t need an immediate answer. That’s what phone calls are for.

As far as distracting the recipient, that’s on them. If they are working, taking a test, etc, then they should have their phone on DND. Yes, even at 4am which is usually when I get up and remember something I needed to send.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, mark me down as one who has no interest in a “send later” feature for iMessage.

If I sent you a message, I don’t need an immediate answer. That’s what phone calls are for.

As far as distracting the recipient, that’s on them. If they are working, taking a test, etc, then they should have their phone on DND. Yes, even at 4am which is usually when I get up and remember something I needed to send.
Certainly a valid opinion, but would it bother you if Apple added this as a feature? If you'd never use it anyway, would it be harmful in any way?

Reactions: tpeters3030

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site

Well you're entitled to that opinion. Whether you use it or not it's a harmless option to have. I get it, you only care about what you want, that's ok you're not alone. I listed other reason and there are so many more. How about I need to send a message at a specific time but I'm going to be busy at that time and won't be able to send a text at that time, such as driving, work meeting, funeral, movie, the list is endless.

I also care about my contacts to not be a a$$h*** to them, it's not bad to be considerate of others. Some people such as my boss is on call and can't put his phone in DND mode, I need to tell him something but it can wait till he's at work, I can schedule it and not worry about forgetting about it or get busy at work and can't send it. just because you don't want or need it doesn't mean it's not a great feature for others.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
Yes, I think this would be a good feature.

MacOS Mail can schedule, as can Samsung Messages (for a mobile phone operating system app example).

Maybe the Mail "code/logic" could be leveraged for iOS Messages.

Update. The Apple discussion below indicates that it is possible to schedule using Shortcuts.

I mentioned you can do it thru shortcuts, but it's limited and takes a lot more time to do it. Go to your email app and schedule a email to send later, easy just long press the send button and set schedule. Shortcuts process is way more time consuming and you can't schedule files and pictures thru it. We know apple can do better on this, they proved it with the email app. I just feel why not just have it built in to the iMessage app, it simplifies it and makes it quicker. Just my thoughts

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
also, it would be nice to send videos to SMS people such as androids that are the same length as it can iMessage without having to trim down the video

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
also, it would be nice to send videos to SMS people such as androids that are the same length as it can iMessage without having to trim down the video

That is an apple to android issue. Androids are using RCS or the outdated SMS/MMS system. Carriers have been holding Android on the outdated system. Google got tired of waiting for the carriers to improve texting they finally did what Apple did, they created Google messages to do what iMessages does. Apple claims they are going to start supporting RCS this year sometime. So if your android friends are using Google messages you should be able to do this sometime this year. This will be a win for iPhone users and Android users, you will be able to communicate with your friends no matter if they are using Android or iPhone without the size limitations. C

Reactions: Chris Cook5

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That is an apple to android issue. Androids are using RCS or the outdated SMS/MMS system. Carriers have been holding Android on the outdated system. Google got tired of waiting for the carriers to improve texting they finally did what Apple did, they created Google messages to do what iMessages does. Apple claims they are going to start supporting RCS this year sometime. So if your android friends are using Google messages you should be able to do this sometime this year. This will be a win for iPhone users and Android users, you will be able to communicate with your friends no matter if they are using Android or iPhone without the size limitations. C

thank you so much for explaining that, I kept hearing RCS but I didn’t know that actually meant

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I see no need to "send later" If I need to send a message,I'll send it,for it's intended recipient to read at their leisure. I know no Androids.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Plus of course you can use an app like WhatsApp or Signal for this.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
I see no need to "send later" If I need to send a message,I'll send it,for it's intended recipient to read at their leisure. I know no Androids.

It’s an option you can use or don’t use, if you don't want to use it then don't. You won't even know it's there. Is it really a big deal to have it. I'm sure there's features you use on your phone that I could care less about but I don't have to use it. And what's androids have to do with this except they have it built in already.

Last edited:

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
Plus of course you can use an app like WhatsApp or Signal for this.

Everyone needs to have that same app. Try getting a iPhone user to switch to one of those here In the United States. Other countries citizens were smart enough to do just that. IT’s just an added feature people can use or not use. If someone don’t want to use it they won’t even know it’s there.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Everyone needs to have that same app. Try getting a iPhone user to switch to one of those here In the United States. Other countries citizens were smart enough to do just that. IT’s just an added feature people can use or not use. If someone don’t want to use it they won’t even know it’s there.
Generally I have no trouble getting anyone with Android to use WhatsApp for a case like this, even what you would call non-technical users. Lots of people even with iPhones who travel outside the US will eventually add WhatsApp since its used by a lot of businesses, restaurants, etc., in other countries.

But I generally don't need to get an iPhone user to switch for sending videos, since there's iMessage and almost everyone here in the US on iPhone uses it.

But, I should have said, yes, you are right, RCS will make this a lot better going forward. But until "late" this year, when iOS is supposed to start supporting RCS, my answer remains: if you are having an issue with this with an Android user, ask if you can use WhatsApp, Signal, or even Facebook or Instagram Messaging, etc. You are bound to find one of those choices as something they are comfortable using.

tpeters3030

May 1, 2023
Visit site
Generally I have no trouble getting anyone with Android to use WhatsApp for a case like this, even what you would call non-technical users. Lots of people even with iPhones who travel outside the US will eventually add WhatsApp since its used by a lot of businesses, restaurants, etc., in other countries.

But I generally don't need to get an iPhone user to switch for sending videos, since there's iMessage and almost everyone here in the US on iPhone uses it.

But, I should have said, yes, you are right, RCS will make this a lot better going forward. But until "late" this year, when iOS is supposed to start supporting RCS, my answer remains: if you are having an issue with this with an Android user, ask if you can use WhatsApp, Signal, or even Facebook or Instagram Messaging, etc. You are bound to find one of those choices as something they are comfortable using.

When I was on Android it was the iPhone users that generally didn’t want to use anything else but iMessage. I would send invites to use those and nobody wanted to do it. Most people just want to use the native text service, that was my circle of people. This will get better when RCS is supported on iMessage.

Either way kind of got off topic, I’m just asking for schedule messages feature on iMessage. It’s a nice feature that comes in handy here and there if you choose to use it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77