New OtterBox Commuter Cases (4S)

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Out of alllll of the many many cases i've bought & used(& a few i returned), i am a Speck candyshell kinda girl & i love my LP as well. i broke down yest and took off the LP to use my RadBerry purple cs:)

Agreed. My favorite is the Speck CS. The fit,look cant be beat. I have a few commuterss,Ifrogz,incase slider also lol

ricnmar

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Thread hijack!

Is the CandyShell as bulky as the Otterbox Defender?

I had the OB Defender but it was very hard to get out of my pocket when sitting down. (Like when driving) I have a slimmer case now but I know I need better protection. It looks like the CandyShell is slimmer and having the hard outer shell should help too. I just wonder has anyone (Pink??) had both?

Thanks!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Nowhere near as bulky as a defender. There's just a little lip around the front edge and no screen protector.

Reactions: ricnmar

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Is the CandyShell as bulky as the Otterbox Defender?

I had the OB Defender but it was very hard to get out of my pocket when sitting down. (Like when driving) I have a slimmer case now but I know I need better protection. It looks like the CandyShell is slimmer and having the hard outer shell should help too. I just wonder has anyone (Pink??) had both?

Thanks!

Nowhere near as bulky as a defender. There's just a little lip around the front edge and no screen protector.

Yes, I have both and as Ame pointed out, the cs's are no where near as thick or big as the OB defenders are. The cs's are a really nice case, and one of my faves along with my LP. I will warn you tho, the cs's tend to get scratched up on the back(only down fall)-so if that's a concern of yours, you could try out the candsyshell satin case, although there aren't as many colors to chose from as the cs's. :) I absolutely love the cs's:)

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I have used Otterbox commuters for a few years now. The new one for the iP4s is better. The silicone is a little more stiffer. My favorite case of all is the Speck "GRIP". I love this case. Fits and feels great. Offers better protection than the commuter I feel. My wife finally got a "GRIP" for her new iP4s in peacock blue. It is really nice looking. I just ordered another GRIP in red. If you tried one, I am sure you will be very impressed with it. You should give one a try.

ricnmar

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the Grip would put me in the same situation as my OB Defender. It would be difficult to remove from my pocket especially when sitting. They sure do look cool though!

Thanks everyone!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Finals week kept me away from the forums... I came to check back and WOW this topic took off! Nice to see you around again Pink - like always you took care of everything :)

As for me, I ended up going with the Speck PixelHD case in cobalt... It was only $14.99 on Amazon and I love it!! It just arrived today (it was my "You survived graduate finals" gift haha) and I'm really digging it. It's easy to get on and off too! I also bought a Zagg screen protector... I've never bothered with one before but my Mum needed one (the diamonds in her earrings were putting some hairline scratches on her new iPhone) so we took the screen protector plunge together. Zagg makes a good product and the texture of the screen protector is quite unique (sort of rubbery/plasticky). The screen protector also plays nice with the Pixel HD - no bubbling or anything...

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Finals week kept me away from the forums... I came to check back and WOW this topic took off! Nice to see you around again Pink - like always you took care of everything :)

As for me, I ended up going with the Speck PixelHD case in cobalt... It was only $14.99 on Amazon and I love it!! It just arrived today (it was my "You survived graduate finals" gift haha) and I'm really digging it. It's easy to get on and off too! I also bought a Zagg screen protector... I've never bothered with one before but my Mum needed one (the diamonds in her earrings were putting some hairline scratches on her new iPhone) so we took the screen protector plunge together. Zagg makes a good product and the texture of the screen protector is quite unique (sort of rubbery/plasticky). The screen protector also plays nice with the Pixel HD - no bubbling or anything...

Thx iLive, nice to see you also:) hey, if there's one thing, I'll ALWAYS love my cases for my 4S - even tho my main squeeze is now my LP, I will take a day here & there to enjoy a speck cs once in a while as well;):)

Congrats on surviving the finals:D & good for you to treat your self with a nice case as well !!

Reactions: mlh1

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I think the Grip would put me in the same situation as my OB Defender. It would be difficult to remove from my pocket especially when sitting. They sure do look cool though!

Thanks everyone!

There is no problem getting the Grip out of your pocket. I just got my red Grip in the mail today. It is awesome.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thx iLive, nice to see you also:) hey, if there's one thing, I'll ALWAYS love my cases for my 4S - even tho my main squeeze is now my LP, I will take a day here & there to enjoy a speck cs once in a while as well;):)

Congrats on surviving the finals:D & good for you to treat your self with a nice case as well !!

I would LOVE a LP case but I can't justify spending $80 on a case (plus, being a full time student again, I'm trying to watch my spending)...

Also have the OtterBox Defender... I think the LP case would be perfect - the OtterBox protection in a slim package... Maybe one day!!

For now, I've very content with my Zagg/Pixel Skin HD... It's a nice combination!!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
In case if anyone is following this thread - I just bought an OtterBox Commuter yesterday from Verizon. It fits perfect! The silicone is the thinner type with the larger cut out for the 4S camera. I am very satisfied!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I would LOVE a LP case but I can't justify spending $80 on a case (plus, being a full time student again, I'm trying to watch my spending)...

Also have the OtterBox Defender... I think the LP case would be perfect - the OtterBox protection in a slim package... Maybe one day!!

For now, I've very content with my Zagg/Pixel Skin HD... It's a nice combination!!

I understand what you mean, $80 is a lot to spend on a case. Perhaps one day you will make it happen. Maybe even try to scroll away $5-$10 bucks weekly or bi-weekly till you have enough saved to treat yourself to one:)

And hey, as long as your content & happy with whatever case you chose to use, that's all that really matters;):) enjoy !! :D

msiphone

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using the Case Mate CS Flip and found that it causes a screen protector to lift, separate, or bubble? I'd like to purchase one... but love my ZAGG screen protectors too much to give them up!! Currently have the incipio dermashot case on with the ZAGG screen protector.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well MsiPhone, I have some good news!! I have the CS Flip and a ZAGG screen protector. I've had zero issues with it. However, on a side note, my Pixel Skin HD did bubble the corner of my screen protector. The CS Flip was perfect!! I don't think you'll have any problems!!

cretz42#WN

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I got my first otterbox, the new commuter, a week ago and seriously regret not having my phone in this thing from day one. Everything fits perfectly, and even though it's a little bulkier than the zoogue one I've been using for the longest time, it's awesome for my active lifestyle. I highly recommend it!

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes the new style commuters get dirty easily and it's cuz the went To a stiffer silicone ... I have quit using them altogether and have since moved in to the Candyshell and Candyshell Flip - great cases

Pretty much the same here too. I have three and barely use them out of fear to get dirty. What's the point of having them lol. Otterbox is great about replacing dirty cases that don't wash easily but makes no sense. I had one white one replaced after only a few uses. My favorite collection is the Speck CandyShell and Flip. Many more choices for colors too.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how I lucked out (getting s 4S case), but my silicone insert was made in China (softer silicone) not the US (harder silicone). It fits perfect and I love it!! My buddy bought a new style commuter (gray and yellow). The yellow was black/blue and almost grimy in less than a week!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmb87