Nested photo folders

Dod Dodman

Nov 23, 2020
Visit site
According to the iPad users guide it should be possible to arrange folders within folders in the photos app:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipad99c6ec9e/ipados

The specific instructions are:

“You can create folders to contain multiple albums. For example, you could create a folder named “Vacations” and then create multiple albums within the folder of all your vacations. You can also create folders inside folders.
Swipe from the left edge of the screen or tap the Show Sidebar button to show the sidebar, then tap All Albums below My Albums.
Tap the Add button, then tap New Folder.
Name the folder, then tap Save.
Open the folder, tap Edit, then tap the Add button to create new albums or folders inside the folder.”

I have a 2020 12 inch iPad Pro running iOS 14.2 but I can’t make this work at all. I can’t even locate an edit button after opening a folder, as mentioned in the last sentence.

Has anyone managed to create subfolders in photos? For example, a folder called 2019, and folders called holiday, visits, meals, etc, each containing separate photos, within it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I followed the instructions to the letter with my 2020 12.9-inch iPad Pro and was able to create both a folder and an album inside the folder. In addition, I easily added to images to the album therein.

As for the EDIT option, it is clearly visible in the upper right corner after you’ve created the folder.

Dod Dodman

Nov 23, 2020
Visit site
Thank you very much. After some more trial and error I finally succeeded in doing what you managed to do straight off.

I think my mistake was threefold. First I was trying to make folders inside existing folders, which doesn’t seem to be possible. Secondly, I was confusing albums and folders. Thirdly, after selecting All albums I was using the + new album button at the bottom of the page rather than the + button at the top. This + button has a new folder or new album choice. The new folder, once created, allows internal editing. A new album doesn’t.

So, it seems I need to create a series of new folders, add albums inside them, and then transfer photos from existing albums or folders to the new ones. That’s fine, now I know how to do it.

I don’t think I’m particularly dense but even though I’ve had iPads for years I still find some of the ways in which apparently simple things can be done are unnecessarily convoluted. I have an app called GoodReader that nests folders so easily I could almost do it blindfold.

In my defence the crucial + sign at the top of the page which I completely missed is fairly small!

My sincere thanks for reminding me to follow the instructions ‘to the letter’. I freely admit I didn’t do that.