Mysterious new chime

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have not had this sound on either of my Apple Watches. Have you by any chance downloaded an App that could be producing these chimes?

It's possible I guess, but I sure don't know what it would be. And if the sound was associated with an app, wouldn't there be some indication on the watch face of what app is causing it??

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
It's possible I guess, but I sure don't know what it would be. And if the sound was associated with an app, wouldn't there be some indication on the watch face of what app is causing it??

You would have thought so. Funnily enough my car every few weeks makes a strange unique warning sound and no-one has a satisfactory explanation!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have sound off so I've never had this, but I just enabled sound for now just to see if I ever hear this. I'll let you know.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Mystery solved! The culprit is the Carrot weather app. One of my watch faces has a complications from the Carrot app and when I pressed, I got the three-note sound I've been hearing. What I still don't understand is why it makes that sound at seemingly random times, but doesn't pop up a notification. You have to go to the app to see what it's wanting to tell you. Anyway, glad to know what it is and now I understand why it's not unusual that no one else is hearing it.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Mystery solved! The culprit is the Carrot weather app. One of my watch faces has a complications from the Carrot app and when I pressed, I got the three-note sound I've been hearing. What I still don't understand is why it makes that sound at seemingly random times, but doesn't pop up a notification. You have to go to the app to see what it's wanting to tell you. Anyway, glad to know what it is and now I understand why it's not unusual that no one else is hearing it.
Glad to hear that the mystery is solved :D

Friko

Mar 20, 2023
Visit site
Just resurrecting this thread to confirm I’ve been getting the mystery chime (not the hourly one) from time to time and I haven‘t installed carrot weather in my Watch.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have since discovered that the Pedometer app will also use this chime. For example, I have steps and miles on my digital watch face. If I press that and have at least 10,000 steps, I get the chime. If those two apps (Carrot Weather and Pedometer) have that same chime, I'm betting the watch could assign it to other apps as well.

Reactions: Friko and Just_Me_D

Friko

Mar 20, 2023
Visit site
I have since discovered that the Pedometer app will also use this chime. For example, I have steps and miles on my digital watch face. If I press that and have at least 10,000 steps, I get the chime. If those two apps (Carrot Weather and Pedometer) have that same chime, I'm betting the watch could assign it to other apps as well.
Oh that makes a lot of sense, as I do have the Pedometer++ app on my Watch. Next time I hear this chime I‘ll check and report back. Thank you! (y)

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2