My wife is a first responder should she get an Apple Watch?

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
My wife is an EMT working 24 hr shifts on an ambulance. She wants to know how the watch would hold up against the everyday issues in EMS. Such as blood or bodily fluids getting on the watch or band? or if she has a combative patient would it get damaged? She was talking about wearing it only when she's not at work but that can't be the only solution, plus it defeats the purpose of getting the watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are lots of other people with an Apple Watch. (other EMS, Firefighters, Police, and Nurses) Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My MIL is a nurse and wears hers at work. Hasn't complained about it at all. In fact, she loves that she can get notifications while on the job.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My wife is an EMT working 24 hr shifts on an ambulance. She wants to know how the watch would hold up against the everyday issues in EMS. Such as blood or bodily fluids getting on the watch or band? or if she has a combative patient would it get damaged? She was talking about wearing it only when she's not at work but that can't be the only solution, plus it defeats the purpose of getting the watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are lots of other people with an Apple Watch. (other EMS, Firefighters, Police, and Nurses) Again any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I use a Catalyst case/band with my Apple Watch when I need added protection. https://www.catalystlifestyle.com/products/catalyst-case-for-apple-watch-series-2-42mm. I swap it with a leather band and black bumper protector that I use most of the time for work and casual wear. I don't ride or swim in my watch. If I did, I'd just use the Catalyst band all the time.

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I just found those catalysts cases this morning and I'm probably going to get one when I get my Apple Watch. They are exactly what I was looking for, for me. A Lifeproof/Otterbox type case for the watch. Since the last watch I owned was a Casio Pathfiner. I showed it to her too. Maybe it would be a good solution for her.

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
But don't you have to use a regular watch band with the catalyst case? Cause I'd probably keep it on all the time. Same with my wife. Just like our phones and the Lifeproof cases. I saw they had some bands on the catalyst site.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My wife is an EMT working 24 hr shifts on an ambulance. She wants to know how the watch would hold up against the everyday issues in EMS.

Working streets can be tough on a watch and the Watch is no different. Most fluids she'd run into won't harm a watch or. I'd get a screen protector to help prevent the crystal from getting scratched. A bumper is a good idea.

The Sport bands will very likely resist most fluids and with the 'tail' of the band tucked in under the strap, it should hang in there even when dealing with a combative patient. I'd use one of those over the leather, nylon, or bracelet.

The few times I've seen someone lose a 'traditional' watch, it's because the pins affixing the band separated from the case. The Watch is probably a little stronger in this area. Oh and get Apple Care.

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Working streets can be tough on a watch and the Watch is no different. Most fluids she'd run into won't harm a watch or. I'd get a screen protector to help prevent the crystal from getting scratched. A bumper is a good idea.

The Sport bands will very likely resist most fluids and with the 'tail' of the band tucked in under the strap, it should hang in there even when dealing with a combative patient. I'd use one of those over the leather, nylon, or bracelet.

The few times I've seen someone lose a 'traditional' watch, it's because the pins affixing the band separated from the case. The Watch is probably a little stronger in this area. Oh and get Apple Care.

We planned on getting Apple Care. I think we'll probably get those catalyst cases but I don't think you can use the Apple Watch bands. I think I read you have to get their bands or something. We'll see what she decides to do. Thanks for all the feedback so far. Like I said she can't be the first one thinking about or currently using an Apple Watch as a first responder.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Firefighter/First Responder here. For past two years I have used the Apple Watch on and off calls. No issues.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
We planned on getting Apple Care. I think we'll probably get those catalyst cases but I don't think you can use the Apple Watch bands. I think I read you have to get their bands or something. We'll see what she decides to do. Thanks for all the feedback so far. Like I said she can't be the first one thinking about or currently using an Apple Watch as a first responder.

You're right. The Catalyst case has its own strap with traditional watch pins. But it's not a hugely detailed process to remove the watch from the Catalyst, snap on a bumper case like the x-Doria, and change the strap. I like being able to vary it up. FWIW, I am not a fan of the apple bands. I have a nice leather band sold by Nomad.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
robertk328 said:
One of the newer waterproof watches should work just fine!

I agree but I'd still put screen and a bumper on it. Wrestling with a combative patient could get the watch knocked around quite a bit.

Unless it's waterproof or very resistant, a case could trap fluids and would/should be removed for cleanup. Maybe an issue, maybe not, depending on 'exposure'.

Not Quite Right said:
Lunatik Epik seems tough enough and Best Buy has them on clearance for $20 ...

I wonder if the pins are as substantial as they appear to be. That would be a big plus for me.

djg21 said:
I have a nice leather band sold by Nomad.

Where a watch might be routinely exposed to body fluids in particular and need cleaning, leather might not be the goto material. That's why I'd prefer the Sport band. Even a Nylon band would probably clean up well (but might be uncomfortable for an active person). A band that couldn't pass a Luminol scan would creep me out, a little.

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I agree but I'd still put screen and a bumper on it. Wrestling with a combative patient could get the watch knocked around quite a bit.

I'm still thinking that catalys case is the answer.

Unless it's waterproof or very resistant, a case could trap fluids and would/should be removed for cleanup. Maybe an issue, maybe not, depending on 'exposure'.

This is true. Never thought of that, but I think that catalyst case wouldn't have that issue.

Where a watch might be routinely exposed to body fluids in particular and need cleaning, leather might not be the goto material. That's why I'd prefer the Sport band. Even a Nylon band would probably clean up well (but might be uncomfortable for an active person). A band that couldn't pass a Luminol scan would creep me out, a little.

Know any good bands that would be easy clean? Or what bands that would be good that would work with that catalyst case?

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
She currently has a Garmin Vivofit 2 but like she told me it doesn't track if your riding a bike. Plus all the other things it does. We both already have iPhones so I would say it's a no brainer. She was wondering about sensitivity to metal? She said watches in the past have given her skin issues cause of the metal. No one in the Apple Store said there was an issue with that but I thought I double check here.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
One of the newer waterproof watches should work just fine!

Like Robert said, I would definitely go for series 2 and that waterproofness it comes with!

She currently has a Garmin Vivofit 2 but like she told me it doesn't track if your riding a bike. Plus all the other things it does. We both already have iPhones so I would say it's a no brainer. She was wondering about sensitivity to metal? She said watches in the past have given her skin issues cause of the metal. No one in the Apple Store said there was an issue with that but I thought I double check here.

Well it's good quality Aluminum so that should not be an issue. :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Know any good bands that would be easy clean? Or what bands that would be good that would work with that catalyst case?

Don't know about the Catalyst case, but the Sport bands that Apple sells are easy to clean. Just get a darker shade so they don't stain as easily.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77