• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Location-based reminders

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
It's to my understanding that the reminders app in iOS5 will work via GPS to give a critical alert when one enters a certain location (the example given is being reminded to by a certain grocery item when one pulls up to a grocery store). Will this work with the iPod touch? The GPS radio operates seperately from cell or Wifi service.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry- it absolutely does. I use it on Maps, Starbucks, etc.
It's using wifi triangulation, which is why it's able to get your location. Turn your wifi off and those apps won't be able to find you. I can guarantee you, the touch does not have a GPS chip in it.

ArGiEs

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
It's using wifi triangulation, which is why it's able to get your location. Turn your wifi off and those apps won't be able to find you. I can guarantee you, the touch does not have a GPS chip in it.

I stand corrected. Oh, well, I hear Apple whispering once more, "If you want the really cool stuff, buy an iPhone, buy an iPhone, buy an iPhone...."

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman