Lifetime Android User: 6s Plus or 7 Plus (Intel modem concerns)

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Sorry if there have been a lot of these threads, but I'm a lifetime Android user looking to make the big switch with concerns over the T-Mobile iPhone 7 Plus with Intel modem.

So is the Intel modem as bad in real world usage? Have some of the reception/bandwidth issues been fixed with an update? Is Bluetooth worse on the Intel modem? Does the Intel modem support EVS? Seems like most of the info bashing the Intel modem comes from the Cellular Insights article and everyone just repeats that study. Have there been other studies conducted? It seems like the point of dropping a bunch of money on Apple is longevity. You keep your phone a long time and get all updates. If a phone has bad reception it doesn't seem like a keeper and defeats the purpose of paying for something that lasts.

I'm so angry with the lack of security on Android phones (five months behind on my supposed flagship) and feel like this is the chance for Apple to win me over. The rumors are the Pixel 2 and Blackberry KEYone may come to T-Mobile, so I feel there is a one month window to win me over (although I have zero brand allegiance -- Apple is fine with me I just haven't seen anything I liked until the last two plus phones).

It seems like the iPhone 7 Plus is the perfect phone other than the possible Intel modem issues. The Pixel could've been the perfect phone if not a Verizon exclusive. The LG V20 would be a perfect phone if it got security updates on all carriers. I don't understand why manufacturers keep making obvious mistakes like this.

Would the iPhone 6s Plus be a better buy? I care most about battery life, reception, security, RAM, speaker quality, and screen. Seems like the iPhone 7 Plus bests the 6s Plus in every category, but I wouldn't have to worry about the Intel modem. I want to be blown away by Apple my first time.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if there have been a lot of these threads, but I'm a lifetime Android user looking to make the big switch with concerns over the T-Mobile iPhone 7 Plus with Intel modem.

So is the Intel modem as bad in real world usage? Have some of the reception/bandwidth issues been fixed with an update? Is Bluetooth worse on the Intel modem? Does the Intel modem support EVS? Seems like most of the info bashing the Intel modem comes from the Cellular Insights article and everyone just repeats that study. Have there been other studies conducted? It seems like the point of dropping a bunch of money on Apple is longevity. You keep your phone a long time and get all updates. If a phone has bad reception it doesn't seem like a keeper and defeats the purpose of paying for something that lasts.

I'm so angry with the lack of security on Android phones (five months behind on my supposed flagship) and feel like this is the chance for Apple to win me over. The rumors are the Pixel 2 and Blackberry KEYone may come to T-Mobile, so I feel there is a one month window to win me over (although I have zero brand allegiance -- Apple is fine with me I just haven't seen anything I liked until the last two plus phones).

It seems like the iPhone 7 Plus is the perfect phone other than the possible Intel modem issues. The Pixel could've been the perfect phone if not a Verizon exclusive. The LG V20 would be a perfect phone if it got security updates on all carriers. I don't understand why manufacturers keep making obvious mistakes like this.

Would the iPhone 6s Plus be a better buy? I care most about battery life, reception, security, RAM, speaker quality, and screen. Seems like the iPhone 7 Plus bests the 6s Plus in every category, but I wouldn't have to worry about the Intel modem. I want to be blown away by Apple my first time.

I would say 7plus, if you get a 6s plus you'll need the tsmc chip, that one performs better, also makes the phone much cooler.... the Samsung chip is slower with around 15-30% worse battery life not to mention the phone gets hotter (really hot at times) and you won't know which one you get until you check (there's also more Samsung chips in the plus models). I feel that if you don't want to play return city until you get a tsmc and don't want to deal with Intel parts wait to see what the 8 offers or don't buy an iPhone at all. But I still say 7+

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
The Intel modem really isn't that bad. There's no such thing as Chipgate.

I have the Intel version and really have nothing to worry about.

paolomusic

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I just reluctantly upgraded from 6s plus to 7 plus (my son pretty much destroyed the 6s plus). So glad I did now tho as the 7 plus is a beast, battery life is insane and despite my misgivings about it being close to new release and the 7plus seeming so similar to 6s plus- it really feels like an upgrade. I've had no connection/reception issues at all. If anything I've found LTE to be faster (Tmo)

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Definitely sounds like the 7 Plus is the way to go. I'm doing a bunch of speed tests around my house (and where I use my phone the most) with my V20. I figure if I don't like the speeds of the Intel modem compared to the V20 I could return the phone in the 14-day window and eat the restocking fee.

It seems like a lot of people are blaming the Intel modem on poor Bluetooth performance, but Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on a separate chip made by Murata (if I'm reading the teardowns correctly). So it seems like the Intel modem is getting blamed for things it isn't connected too. Which brings up another question: how is Bluetooth and Wi-Fi performance?

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Definitely sounds like the 7 Plus is the way to go. I'm doing a bunch of speed tests around my house (and where I use my phone the most) with my V20. I figure if I don't like the speeds of the Intel modem compared to the V20 I could return the phone in the 14-day window and eat the restocking fee.

It seems like a lot of people are blaming the Intel modem on poor Bluetooth performance, but Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on a separate chip made by Murata (if I'm reading the teardowns correctly). So it seems like the Intel modem is getting blamed for things it isn't connected too. Which brings up another question: how is Bluetooth and Wi-Fi performance?

It's good. A bit better than the 6s+ but with Bluetooth it always depend upon what you're connecting it to. I have no problems except with one of my cars.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
It seems like you are liking the iPhone 7 Plus overall :)

Now, I know this is iMore and obviously we will promote iPhones but it is genuinely a fantastic product and I definitely think you will be "blown away by Apple my first time" 😃 The 7 Plus has superb battery life and obviously enough RAM to keep everything running smoothly.

I'm personally also a big Blackberry supporter and own several devices from them. All my Blackberry Android devices are running the May 2017 security patch already. The DTEK50 got the update on May 6th so if you look for a Android phone, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ would be your best option for security. 😃

Let us know what you decide on.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
The iPhone 7 Plus is a much better device than anything else mentioned here. You'll get the dual cameras, the new home button, and security updates. Plus, it comes in red. :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Head on over to the Settings app and select General > About > Legal > Regulatory. Here, at the top of the screen, should be the model number we’re looking for in order to carry out a quick and dirty identification.

Now if the model number shown here reads A1778 or A1784, then the iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus in question is an AT&T or T-Mobile version making use of the Intel modem. If the model number is A1660 or A1661, however, then it’s going to be a Sprint or Verizon variant with a Qualcomm modem.

I have the Tmobile iPhone 7+ with the Intel chip. I've had it for a few months and I see no issues with LTE or bluetooth. My Apple Watch and LG HBS900 stay connected without any problems. My LTE speeds average 50 megs down and 30 up, depending on if I'm in a building or outside.

My son has the 6S+ phone that I had before the 7+ and it works just the same with no issues.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The beauty of having an iPhone is not having to focus on specs, chipsets, etc. because no matter which one you get, it'll just work. Furthermore, whichever modem you get, the performance will be minor in comparison to the other. With that in mind, go ahead and get an iPhone 7 Plus and enjoy it...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The beauty of having an iPhone is not having to focus on specs, chipsets, etc. because no matter which one you get, it'll just work. Furthermore, whichever modem you get, the performance will be minor in comparison to the other. With that in mind, go ahead and get an iPhone 7 Plus and enjoy it...

Well said 'D!!

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I came from Android and I stopped caring about specs. I had the Nexus 6P and it ran great....at first. I enjoyed almost everything except battery life. It got worse and worse overtime. I went from lasting all day to barely lasting until 6PM. I got a replacement which had old software and it lasted all day. I used it for a week and it was lasting all day and most of the day with very heavy usage. I updated and it just went to crap. I know it takes time but after 3 months, I left. I barely get a full work day, never mind a full day awake.

Spec wise, iphone 7 plus isn't as impressive on paper. But play with it and you will see why. iOS is buttery smooth. This device is smooth and fast and having it since launch, it still feels great. Battery life wasn't as good but I know it's due to apps because I deleted apps and battery life increase but I need those apps so I installed it and it runs in the background. It makes my life simpler so I don't mind. It's not like "OMG, battery life sucks, it's more like instead of lasting 10 hours of usage, I drop to 9h30m of usage so not bad at all.

As far as signal strength goes, Motorola has the best antennas. No doubt. the iPhone7P is slightly better then the a Nexus 6P but very slightly but not as good as Motorola.

If you plan on going to iOS, get rid of some bad habits like constantly rebooting your device. All it does it waste time. I have been using my phone for the past 2 weeks without a reboot and I only rebooted because I wanted to see if I notice a difference but nope. Waste of my time to reboot. Before that, it was probably a long while.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the info everyone!

Sounds like the Intel modem isn't as bad as the hysteria indicates. I've yet to find ANY article complaining about the Intel modem that doesn't link back to the one study by Cellular Insights. Not sure what Cellular Insights is, but it just looks like a blog started early last year. Doesn't mean their study isn't right, but you'd think someone else would do a similar study for one of the most anticipated phones from last year. It seems like the only potential issue with the Intel modem would be in low signal areas (which concerns me because I have family in low signal areas where I've had no trouble with my Android phones).

It's good. A bit better than the 6s+ but with Bluetooth it always depend upon what you're connecting it to. I have no problems except with one of my cars.

Yeah, it seems like most of the complaints about Bluetooth on Apple's forum are related to Bluetooth in cars. One thread is about 57 pages long (but I think there were multiple issues confused in the one thread). I've never had issues with any of my Android phones connecting to Bluetooth (but I rarely use it). Just concerned about potential Bluetooth issues with the removal of the headphone jack. I'd probably use Bluetooth headphones over lighting headphones to reduce wear and tear on the lightning port.

It seems like you are liking the iPhone 7 Plus overall :)

Definitely. Seems like the smartest decision. It has the features I want.

I'm personally also a big Blackberry supporter and own several devices from them. All my Blackberry Android devices are running the May 2017 security patch already. The DTEK50 got the update on May 6th so if you look for a Android phone, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ would be your best option for security. ������

I'm probably going to wait until the official release date of the KEYone and see if T-Mobile carries it. If so I'll check it out in person before making my decision to switch to the 7 Plus. Although I can be impulsive so I could see myself possibly not waiting to make the switch. :D I've been contemplating Apple since last fall when the last two Android flagships I bought were basically turned into abandonware a few months after release. So tired of that it's not even funny.

How is the DTEK 50, BTW? Thinking about picking one up for a backup phone if I decide to stick with my current phone. Put my SIM card into the phone with the most current security patch. Meh. Wouldn't have to worry about playing games like that with Apple I suppose.

brian_84

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
It seems like Android users have to consider so much. No Apple owner cares about internal mechanics or RAM or security patches, they just know it'll work. What's the big deal with the security thing though, what are you more exposed to now?

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
It seems like Android users have to consider so much. No Apple owner cares about internal mechanics or RAM or security patches, they just know it'll work.

If you are buying an Android flagship you really don't have to worry about internals and know it will work and all manufacturers are comparable. If you are looking at a $200 Android phone then you have to start worrying about internals and where corners were cut to make it so cheap. That being said the two budget Android devices I've had worked fine.

If I'm going to be spending over $900 for an 128GB iPhone 7 Plus I definitely want to know what is inside. Plus, I love technology. :)

What's the big deal with the security thing though, what are you more exposed to now?

I can't even keep track what I'm exposed to anymore and don't want to find out the hard way. I've deleted stuff like my banking app from my phone. My current phone has over 300 known vulnerabilities left unpatched. It would be exhausting researching each one and figuring out which vulnerability is the most likely to affect my phone. I'm also guessing Google wouldn't pay bounties and spend money making patches if the vulnerabilities weren't somewhat serious or likely. The only Android phones that have all of these patched are Google Pixel and most Blackberry. I'm not convinced Apple patches every known iOS vulnerability either, but I know I will get any patch they deem necessary immediately (not months and months later if at all). Obviously you are left exposed on any phone between vulnerability patches. I'd rather go down fighting than get no patches at all.

So, my main reason for wanting to switch is this: if I'm going to spend an insane amount of money on a phone why not get one that gets every update for years (iPhone). I feel like a lot of Android manufacturers are spending all of their time and money thinking of the next gimmick that might not even make it past one generation before being replaced by another gimmick (how long is this new 18:9 aspect ratio going to last) instead of supporting current devices.

muckle_dabuckle

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I probably will. I'm most likely overthinking everything. I even have the midnight black UAG monarch case picked out if I switch. I just feel phone homeless. Android has betrayed me and iOS doesn't have all the features I want.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6mac41717