Jailbreaking Problem - Can't Find Answer

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I know that there are billions of forums/blogs/articles on which iPhones/iPods can be jailbroken, but I never get the same definate answer. Some places I get that 3.13 cannot be jailbroken, some places say that I can jailbreak on a 3GS, some say that a 3rd Gen iPod on 3.13 can be jailbroken if it has a baseband under whatever or has been "pwned" at 3.12. I especially can't find any info about my own device. I also don't get anything to do with the baseband or bootroom, and how it affects which devices and which new softwares (3.12 and 3.13)

My question and situation is:
- I have an iPhone 3GS which I bought the third day it was released (a sunday)
- In August I jailbroke it with redsn0w while it was on 3.01 using a PC (I am still jailbroken on 3.01)
- So I want to upgrade my iPhone to 3.13, using a PC, on iTunes 9.0.3 (which I believe is the newest version)

Is there a safe (so many people have tried it and it worked), non-tethered way to jailbreak my iPhone?

EDIT:

Here are my new questions:
- Is the ecid and hashkeys the same?
- How do I back up my ecid/hashkey in Cydia?
- Is the BOOTROOM a hardware device? Or does it upgrade with a new software update?
- Does anyone have any common, safe links to a Custom IPSW for iPhone 3GS version 3.12?

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I know that there are billions of forums/blogs/articles on which iPhones/iPods can be jailbroken, but I never get the same definate answer. Some places I get that 3.13 cannot be jailbroken, some places say that I can jailbreak on a 3GS, some say that a 3rd Gen iPod on 3.13 can be jailbroken if it has a baseband under whatever or has been "pwned" at 3.12. I especially can't find any info about my own device. I also don't get anything to do with the baseband, and how it affects which devices and which new softwares (3.12 and 3.13)

My question and situation is:
- I have an iPhone 3GS which I bought the third day it was released (a sunday)
- In August I jailbroke it with redsn0w while it was on 3.01 using a PC (I am still jailbroken on 3.13)
- So I want to upgrade my iPhone to 3.13, using a PC, on iTunes 9.0.3 (which I believe is the newest version)

Is there a safe (so many people have tried it and it worked), non-tethered way to jailbreak my iPhone?

- Due to when you bought your iPhone, no matter what you do it will not be a tethered jailbreak.

Baseband has to do for those Prople that want/need to unlock their phone to use on a carrier other than the one it was purchased for ( ie AT&T here in the states ).

You say you're already on 3.13 but you want to upgrade to 3.1.3? I'm confused.

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
RE:

I am currently on 3.01

What about the BootRoom? When does the BootRoom and BaseBand update? What does the BootRoom Do?

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
I am currently on 3.01

What about the BootRoom? When does the BootRoom and BaseBand update? What does the BootRoom Do?

The Bootrom has to do w/ how the device boots. It has been updated, that it essentially rejects the jailbreak code that was injected at boot. Which is why devices with the newer bootrom, can only perform a tethered boot, meaning they have to redo the jailbreak everytime the device is rebooted.

The baseband affects whether or not your phone can be software unlocked, Apple also updated that in an effort to prevent software unlocks.

Now re your original question.

the original iPhone baseband was 4.28.08 and the different pwnage tools allowed you to upgrade the phones firmware, but preserve the older baseband, therefore allowing you to keep your software unlock.

If you do a firmware update directly from Apple, the software for the phone as well as the baseband is updated automatically. Effectively removing your ability to jailbreak or software unlock the phone.

The newer baseband is 5.11.07.

IF you want to update your firmware to say 3.1 or 3.1.2. You should only use custom firmware. I.E. Firmware modified with the appropriate pwnage tool.

There is no reason to update to 3.1.3 it offers no upgrade in functionality.

It would also be a good idea to incrementally back up your ecid w/ Saurik via Cydia, so if you need to downgrade your device to 3.1 you can.

3G Downgrading

Again if jailbreaking is important to you stay away from official Apple firmware updates for now.

Last edited:

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
RE:

I gues the main reason I want to update is because I have acquired a lot of unknown/useless files that are clogging up my space and making my iPhone lag and glitchy. I thought I read that Apple doesn't let you upgrade to anything but the newest software

So now:
- Is there a way to upgrade to 3.12?
- Is there a way simply to restore my iPhone except to 3.01? (my current OS)
- What is a custom ispw? Can I simply download it and install it onto my iPhone and will it work automatically?

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Do you have Cydia installed on your phone? I'd make sure that your ecid is backed up on Saurik's server, then you could restore 3.0.1 if you wanted to.

When you go to Cydia you should receive a message that says "This device has a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file."

If not we'll have to backup that info first.

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
You can upgrade to 3.1.2 via custom firmware.
You can restore your phone to 3.0.1 IF you backup your ecid w/ Saurik's server via Cydia.
Custom ipsw is custom firmware w/ the baseband removed, do you keep your current baseband.

Just downloading custom firmware puts your faith in someone else to not put malicious software on your machine, or genuinely post a properly modified firmware and not the same one you're trying to avoid from Apple.

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay, thanks.

So as long as I see the "This device has a 3.0 ECID SHSH on file." message when I open Cydia, I can do whatever I want?

Also, then do I just select the file when "upgrading" the OS in iTunes? Does it work with iTunes 9.0.3?

Finally:
- Does anyone have a safe/proven link for a safe custom ispw file?
- Can I restore it to the custom ispw file? I want to reset most of my settings too
- After installing the custom ispw file, can I upload contacts, notes, etc. from a backup file?

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
It means you can go back to 3.0

You should make subsequent backups at other versions you upgrade to, and you should ONLY upgrade w/ custom ipsw.

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmm I can't find where to store my "ecid" or "hash-keys" (they're the same right?) on Cydia. I have been looking on the home page and have found the Info-Topic on it but I do not see where I can actually store the key in Cydia.

Also the BASEBAND is only if I want to unlock; will the CUSTOM IPSW

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I can't find where to store my "ecid" or "hash-keys" in Cyda (they're the same right?) I am looking on the front page, and have found the Info-Topic on it but I do not see where I can actually store it with Saurik.

Also, the BASEBAND is only if I want to unlock right? I do not need an unlock, so my only question is:
Will the Custom IPSW (or any other method that might be safter) allow me to keep my current bootroom? I AM ONLY LOOKING FOR THE SAFEST WAY TO JAILBREAK MY PHONE 100% (NO TETHERED JAILBREAK)

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
the tethered jailbreak ~ new bootrom as far as i know is hardware based, not software based, as in it affects the newer 3gs models. I'd wait for another user to chime in on that. But i'd stick w/ the custom ipsw to avoid trouble.

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I will wait for more info.

However, I just read an article about Apple verifying to make sure the ipsw isn't a custom one. Here is the link: saurik.com/id/12 I am not sure how it works though; I think it said something about it being exploitable (with the ecid)

So my questions are:
- Is the ecid and the hash-codes the same?
- How do I store my ecid/hash with Saurik?
- Is the bootroom a hardware thing? Or does it upgrade with new software?
- Does anyone have a link to a TESTED SAFE custom ipsw for the iPhone 3GS that I can upgrade through iTunes for a NON-tethered jailbreak?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
- The bootrom is software, but it's on a chip that is not updated with each firmware.

- The ECID/SHSH hashes are unique per device.

- You can only store your SHSHs with the Cydia server once you have Cydia installed.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
An in order to store them, you go to Cydia and look for the button that says "Make my life easier". That's to store your SHSH hashes.

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I use to see the "make my life easier" sign on cydia, but not anymore :(

So the I don't have to worry about the tethered jailbreak as long as I have the old version of the 3GS right?

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
woah, I read about something to do with clicking the word "developer" on the bottom of the cydia homepage, but nothing happened. However, when I went to packages and back, after the page reloaded there was the green "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.3" which is awesome... but I am currently on OS 3.0.1 (it even says so at the bottom of cydia). Is that normal? or could it just be a glitch? thanks :)

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
If you even pressed "Make my life easier" you won't see it anymore. Instead at the top it will say "This Device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: ....."

Right, if you don't have a tethered jailbreak already, you don't have to worry about getting one. The bootrom is NOT updated with the firmware.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon