Is the iPhone 14 Plus a flop? Production halted as demand falters

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apple has reportedly halted production of parts for its iPhone 14 Plus by at least one manufacturer. Full story from the iMore Blog...

“Apple has reportedly told one supplier of iPhone 14 Plus parts to halt production”

giphy.gif

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
iPhone 14 pro and pro max are completely sold out.

Meanwhile:
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221019/d6577e0da1f6e6540114fcfbee18affd.png

I read that July-Sep 2022 quarter saw Apple have 18% of the smartphone market share according to Canalys. This is up 3% from the same quarter in 2021 where Apple had 15%. Samsung did improve from 21% to 22% but it was driven by “heavy discounting”. At first glance I would have thought Samsung is doing great gaining share but thanks to your posts FFR and the knowledge gained, I see this report as a negative for Samsung. In terms of Apple’s sales, it is the top half of the market’s price range. Being Samsung is the only other big player in that price range, most of Apple’s 3% gain had to come from Samsung’s higher end market share. Samsung is making up the difference with the budget price range. That’s a range we know that is thin margins. Add that to Samsung “heavily discounting” which likely in significant part comes from the higher price range, Samsung would seem to be taking another step downward in the higher price range market share.

In terms of ad revenue and its margins, the tough reality is available discretionary spending favors buyers of the higher end smartphone buyers. Probably by a factor of the 3 to 4 times or more. Google losing Android’s constant data reporting connection to the data mothership(so to speak) hurts revenue. Give credit where it is due, Google (and Meta) have setup a impressive mega sized data centers with phenomenal real time data processing and prediction capabilities. The more data points the system is fed the greater the revenue (or, ahem, the less data points it is fed the less revenue :) ).

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I read that July-Sep 2022 quarter saw Apple have 18% of the smartphone market share according to Canalys. This is up 3% from the same quarter in 2021 where Apple had 15%. Samsung did improve from 21% to 22% but it was driven by “heavy discounting”. At first glance I would have thought Samsung is doing great gaining share but thanks to your posts FFR and the knowledge gained, I see this report as a negative for Samsung. In terms of Apple’s sales, it is the top half of the market’s price range. Being Samsung is the only other big player in that price range, most of Apple’s 3% gain had to come from Samsung’s higher end market share. Samsung is making up the difference with the budget price range. That’s a range we know that is thin margins. Add that to Samsung “heavily discounting” which likely in significant part comes from the higher price range, Samsung would seem to be taking another step downward in the higher price range market share.

In terms of ad revenue and its margins, the tough reality is available discretionary spending favors buyers of the higher end smartphone buyers. Probably by a factor of the 3 to 4 times or more. Google losing Android’s constant data reporting connection to the data mothership(so to speak) hurts revenue. Give credit where it is due, Google (and Meta) have setup a impressive mega sized data centers with phenomenal real time data processing and prediction capabilities. The more data points the system is fed the greater the revenue (or, ahem, the less data points it is fed the less revenue :) ).

Marketshare is a bit tricky, let me explain it a bit further; The entire smartphone market collapsed by 9% in the q3, so apples 3% increase actually represents a 20% increase in marketshare yoy and Samsungs 1 percent increase is actually 6.66% decrease for the quarter yoy.

That’s why canalys reported “Apple was the only smartphone vendor to achieve positive market share growth in the third quarter” which if you remember is the quarter Samsung launched their foldable series. Even with heavy discounting eating into Samsung mobiles profits it went horribly wrong.

b38c7e00d0308280e6d4cc1c260b572e.jpg

Thank you for your kind remarks up and away.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Marketshare is a bit tricky, let me explain it a bit further; The entire smartphone market collapsed by 9% in the q3, so apples 3% increase actually represents a 20% increase in marketshare yoy and Samsungs 1 percent increase is actually 6.66% decrease for the quarter yoy.

That’s why canalys reported “Apple was the only smartphone vendor to achieve positive market share growth in the third quarter” which if you remember is the quarter Samsung launched their foldable series. Even with heavy discounting eating into Samsung mobiles profits it went horribly wrong.

b38c7e00d0308280e6d4cc1c260b572e.jpg

Thank you for your kind remarks up and away.

The kudos to you are well deserved. I suspect like most I see the number and view it like the score of a game. One point is one point in every contest. But your quick a lesson was a good one. In the 2022 Q3 contest, 1 point equals 9% less.
For argument sake let's say that the smartphone market dropped 10% and the overall market Q3 2021 was 100 million (not the actual numbers).
Q3 2021 market is 100 million
Q4 2022 market is 90 million
10% drop.

Apple was 15% of the market, so they sold 15 million smartphones in Q3 2021, They increased market share by 3% to 18% -- that's 18% of 90 million, about 16.5 million smartphones sold.
Samsung had 21% in Q3 2021 so they sold 21 million. They increased to 22% of the 90 million total smartphones sold. They sold about 20 million smartphones, a million less (even though they increased market share by 1%)
So they sold 1 million less, probably more than a million less in the premium market(making up for it in the budget market), and had to discount "heavily" just to hold onto that. Yes I see how it is bed news for Samsung.
The Fold market folding (pardon the pun) is about as surprising as the sun rising in the east tomorrow. There was a story (nothing but a story) suggesting Apple may release a folding iPad. Eh, but the logic in the story was sound. Making a smartphone -- obviously made for the pocket -- twice as thick, expensive, all kinds of user experience changes etc etc doesn't make sense for users. OTH an iPad isn't for the pocket, it could make sense to have it fold (if they can hide the screen seam). Don't know if I agree but it makes far better sense than a folding iPhone Pro Max.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2