iPhone X homescreen apps visible in the background.

dalski1969

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
Ok I purchased an iPhone X in November & a few months later I noticed my homescreen apps were ghosting in the background no matter what I was doing on my phone I could faintly see the homescreen apps. Contacted Apple and it seemed a new problem to them and after a few calls they replaced the phone for a new one. Well a few months on and I’m starting to notice the apps ghosting again in the background on my new phone and I’m sure it’ll get worse and another new phone will be required ( I’m so glad I got Apple Care). Surely I’m not the only person this has happened too especially as it’s twice now within 7 months. Anyone else had this problem. It’s definitely a hardware problem because a screenshot will not show them in a photo.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

The only time I experience your issue on my X is when I bring up a sub folder box and the home screen ghosts in the background

Is this what your talking about?

dalski1969

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
They’re only visible at the moment from a blank screen like empty notes pages or a photo in landscape mode the top and bottom of the screen is white and you can faintly see the homescreen apps. This became worse with my 1st iPhone X so I’m starting to think it’s going to get worse. Starting to wonder if it’s my screen protector or case but it shouldn’t happen at all on an expensive piece of equipment.

dalski1969

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by burn in. A clear enough screen will faintly show the apps ghosting. A plain notes page or white screen and you can see them

dalski1969

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
As new at 1st because software was out of date then did restore from backup via iTunes. I don’t use iCloud because I find it a complete headache although iTunes isn’t much better but it puts everything back where it should be. Apple told me it’s a hardware problem so I doubt the backup will cause this. I leave my phone on and open all day long and on charge because I’m a taxi driver but I’ve done that since the iPhone 4.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As new at 1st because software was out of date then did restore from backup via iTunes. I don’t use iCloud because I find it a complete headache although iTunes isn’t much better but it puts everything back where it should be. Apple told me it’s a hardware problem so I doubt the backup will cause this. I leave my phone on and open all day long and on charge because I’m a taxi driver but I’ve done that since the iPhone 4.

If it's a hardware issue, I find it odd 2 different devices had the same issue. Unless it's a widespread known problem with the X. I don't have one.

William Hetrick

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting it to see if that solves the problems. You did say you leave it on and charging all of the time. And try turning the display off when not in use. This might be a image display burning because you leave the display on all of the time.

dalski1969

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
Rebooting won’t work as it’s been tried, even tried wiping the 1st phone it happened too and it didn’t work. As a taxi driver I can’t switch the screen off during the day because of the taxi apps in constant use. I’ve had my iPhone 4, 5 & 6 on all day for 2 years each phone and never had a problem. I have an iPad Air 2 in my cab on all day with no problems either. As I have Apple Care I will continue to change the phone out every time the situation gets to an annoying point. Seems to me it’s a fault with the design so after 2 years I’ll definitely get a new phone and new Apple Care. Oh and I only ever use original Apple charging cables. Although I do use a wireless charger too but I’d be surprised if that was the problem.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Rebooting won’t work as it’s been tried, even tried wiping the 1st phone it happened too and it didn’t work. As a taxi driver I can’t switch the screen off during the day because of the taxi apps in constant use. I’ve had my iPhone 4, 5 & 6 on all day for 2 years each phone and never had a problem. I have an iPad Air 2 in my cab on all day with no problems either. As I have Apple Care I will continue to change the phone out every time the situation gets to an annoying point. Seems to me it’s a fault with the design so after 2 years I’ll definitely get a new phone and new Apple Care. Oh and I only ever use original Apple charging cables. Although I do use a wireless charger too but I’d be surprised if that was the problem.

If this occurs with each iPhone you try, it's not likely hardware. It's either software, user error, or possibly an app misbehaving.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I believe that it's pretty well-known that OLED displays will burn in more readily than an LCD display. I'd suspect that an always-on use case like you describe for your taxi that an iPhone 8/8+ may be a better choice (or just live with the burn-in). The iPhone X is the first iPhone with an OLED display, so this is new territory for iPhones. Apple did say that they designed the display to minimize burn-in though.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht208191

dalski1969

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
That’s interesting to read because none of the technicians I spoke to mentioned that at all, they just wanted the phone back and sent me a new one before I’d even returned my old one. I’ll use my Apple Care wisely then especially just before point of sale before it’s 2 years expires.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elena4151