iPhone and the sim card shuffle....

Dtrk

Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Greetings - getting an iPhone 3gS - have an iPhone 2g that a friend is interested in purchasing.... Here's the question....

His wife has AT&T phone service through her parent's business, she has a crappy smartphone- he's wondering if he could plant her sim card in my old iPhone - if so, would the network still think she's on her original phone? She's not interested in any data plan - she wants to keep her same basic plan - just phone service - she just wants a better cellphone experience - she'll use wifi but won't text or surf or email out of wifi. Can he pull this off without too much effort? Is it really just a simple sim card swap? or does he need to consider unlocking the phone first?

Any help would be appreciated - process suggestions or other tips!

Thanks-

Eric

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
and those of you who can answer Dtrk's question, might be able to answer my follow up question.

I have a 3G thats not qualified for the discounted upgrade, but the second line that my wife uses (non Iphone), qualifies for upgrade,,,,
So I ordered a Gs under her number,,, now is it as simple as swapping our sim cards so she can use my old 3G and I use the new one???

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I am not sure about ATT, but when i spoke to Rogers i was told all i had to do with the 3GS was to pop my sim in and leave my second line phone which i used to upgrade as is. OP can always use his wife"s sim in his iphone, but if she do not have data on that line, make sure data is turned off or you wont like the bill..

bayourock

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure about ATT, but when i spoke to Rogers i was told all i had to do with the 3GS was to pop my sim in and leave my second line phone which i used to upgrade as is. OP can always use his wife"s sim in his iphone, but if she do not have data on that line, make sure data is turned off or you wont like the bill..

I am going to give my orginal iPhone to my girlfriend on our family plan.... She too isnt interested in email, web, & such..... How do i go about making sure that the data is tunred off on the her line????

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I am going to give my orginal iPhone to my girlfriend on our family plan.... She too isnt interested in email, web, & such..... How do i go about making sure that the data is tunred off on the her line????
AT&T customer service should be able to disable data on her line.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I think at&t can automatically know what phone you are using when you put that card into any at&t phone. One time they shocked me and told me what phone I was using one day. I was using a very very old back up phone I had back in 2004.

At&t will figure that it's a iPhone and will apply the 2G data plan ( $20 ). I think you should unlock it because that way there is less chance that that at&t will know what phone you're using. I think an unlocked phone doesn't show up as any specific phone to at&t.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have also heard the same thing that OmariJames just said. if you try this AT&T will simply add the data plan to your account without your permission. I was also told to Jailbreak the phone but I am not too savy when comes to these things so I think I'll just bite the bullet and pay the plan so my son can have my old phone. if you look in the IPhone help forums under -what to do with old 1st gen phone- you will find some of these answers to the exact same question.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I think at&t can automatically know what phone you are using when you put that card into any at&t phone. One time they shocked me and told me what phone I was using one day. I was using a very very old back up phone I had back in 2004.

At&t will figure that it's a iPhone and will apply the 2G data plan ( $20 ). I think you should unlock it because that way there is less chance that that at&t will know what phone you're using. I think an unlocked phone doesn't show up as any specific phone to at&t.

Yes AT&T will detect you are using a iphone and change your plan.

nintendotoad

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Step 1. Jailbreak.
Step 2. Install all sources for Cydia.
Step 3. Find BootNeuter in Cydia (search).
Step 4. Install Boot Neuter.
Step 5. Place SIM card you want to use in iphone.
Step 6. Launch BootNeuter.
If this doesn't work PM me.
Yeah and my iPhone was unlocked and all unlocked phones show up as a generic... I think. But I never used service for anything expensive like wi-fi so maybe that's why they didn't change my plan but... good luck anyway

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77