iPhone 7 Plus cracking sound?

5t3v3n1

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
If you hold your iPhone 7 Plus at one corner (example top left) and diagonaly (bottom right) and do a slight twist- does anyone hear a cracking sound?

Im not sure if its because of the size and use.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
If it sounds like a knocking sounds, it could be coming fromthe Haptic Engine. I heard that before (not on mine) and it came from its location.

5t3v3n1

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
If it sounds like a knocking sounds, it could be coming fromthe Haptic Engine. I heard that before (not on mine) and it came from its location.

It's not a knocking sound and not related to the haptic engine.

I feel like maybe something with the bezel is loose? I'm not sure if it's from the large size of the screen and it's a normal thing or if it's just mine. (May need to apply some pressure when trying it)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Not even a little. Until I saw this post I would have never grabbed my phone like that either. Anyway, no sounds of any kind coming from my 7 Plus no matter how I grab it.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm kind of baffled as to why OP would do that? I think the only thing close to that happening by accident or without intention would maybe be removing the phone from a snug case. I've never heard any out of the ordinary sounds when handling my phone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My wife's 7 plus at launch did it. It was real bad. I created a thread way back then and many people had it too. We had hers swapped at apple. We first figured it out because the screen would make a popping sound if you did 3D touch towards the top right area of the screen. When I had the red iPhone 7 plus, mine did the same. So I returned it.

The OP is not making this up. Many 7 pluses had this problem. Especially at launch.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Mine was doing this. I noticed when prying my phone out of my UAG case. I tightened the screws on the bottom of the phone (which were pretty easy to get almost a full turn out of) and don't notice the sound anymore. Granted, I'm not twisting the phone trying to replicate the sound... but, I no longer hear it under my normal usage.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I've had it from the launch till this day. It is annoying but not sure can I get change cuz I've dropped the phone few times. They could blame that for the sound..

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I don't get a cracking sound, not that I hold or do this to my iPhone on a regular basis. If your uncomfortable with the sound I suggest taking it to your nearest Apple Store for a check up.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Is this just the sound the iPhone 7/7 Plus makes when you're using the 3D Touch feature? I think I've noticed that on my iPhone 7... Unless it's just my imagination.

TheRandomDealio

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm kind of baffled as to why OP would do that? I think the only thing close to that happening by accident or without intention would maybe be removing the phone from a snug case. I've never heard any out of the ordinary sounds when handling my phone.

That's basically what I was thinking.

5t3v3n1

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site

Someone was grabbing my phone from my hand and I got paranoid and inspected my phone and I think from him gripping my phone so tightly it happened

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I would describe it as more of a "pop" or "creaky" noise. Try lightly tightening the screws in the bottom. don't torque them or strip them, but just see if they turn easily. Mine did.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My wife's 7 plus at launch did it. It was real bad. I created a thread way back then and many people had it too. We had hers swapped at apple. We first figured it out because the screen would make a popping sound if you did 3D touch towards the top right area of the screen. When I had the red iPhone 7 plus, mine did the same. So I returned it.

The OP is not making this up. Many 7 pluses had this problem. Especially at launch.

Yes, at launch most of the 7+ phones were doing it, there are even articles about it. Apparently it was persistent enough that some stores refused to replace the phones, as the replacements had the same issue.

I checked months ago, and mine did it, but I never thought it was worth worrying about.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Haven't really bothered but is is kinda annoying that phone of this price creaks n pops like cheap android phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4