iPhone 6s Plus Dead Battery?

NR0888

Aug 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,

Very recently (last 4 days), my iPhone has been playing up on charge. To keep a long story short, it died as per usual last Saturday (I let it run flat, which I prefer not to do but not out of the ordinary). I then noticed that after hours of it charging, it wouldn't turn on despite symbolising it was charging. Keeping in mind I have had no problems with my charger until now and my other devices still work on it - I was a bit confused.

When I became increasingly concerned was afterwards, a further two hours of charging (six total), the screen was black. Not evening signalling it has been charging. After awhile I decided it was not worth having it charging if it was battery dead, I unplugged it.

Next morning (Sunday), I put it back on charge because I needed it, and according to the screen, it was charging again. A couple of hours passed and it was alive again, somewhat of a relief at the time.

Completely my fault, I have made this mistake of letting it run dead three times in the last four days. Repeating the same process (dies, on charge with charging symbol, then no symbol, take it off charge for awhile, put it on charge again, time passes its alive again etc). It is only now I am concerned, it hasn't turned on for 24hrs.

Can someone correct me in saying in needs a battery replacement after only retaining 70% of its battery capacity in 3 1/2 yrs of use or might this be something else?

TIA.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore. I'm sorry you're having this problem with your watch. My guess is that you do need a battery replacement. If I were you, I would contact Apple Support and have your watch checked out. Please let us know how it goes.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you have (inadvertently) damaged your battery, lol. Leaving your battery flat dead 3 times in 4 days seems really too much for the battery to take. I depleted a battery a couple of times by mistake but in my case, it usually started charging short while after it was plugged into charger. I understand that running the battery flat dead is very bad to the battery. I used to be very careful about the handling of Li-ion batteries (I was a camera freak before the iPhone days, and batteries of camera were gradually transitioning from AA batteries to Li-ion ones). I learned how to "initialize" brand new Li-ion batteries (usually not needed for Li-ions (so they say) but I followed the instructions anyway:) or how to prolong battery life etc etc. I picked up most of these knowledge (which of course all gone from my head now) from "Battery University" site.

https://batteryuniversity.com

The last time I read it seriously was over 10 years ago but I believe it is still relevant (I do not know if they updated any part). There, you may find some articles relevant to your case. But my honest opinion, as expressed by others, is simply replace it. It cost you some $50 or so now? There might be a free Mea Culpa Apple program to replace 6s battery free of charge, may be?. But my memory is foggy (It was like that since I was born).

Last edited: