Iphone 6 Battery/Reboot Loop

Stanhauser

Jul 20, 2020
Visit site
Hey all,

I left my iphone 6 outside in partial sun, and by the time I brought it in, the day was pretty hot. I tried turning it on, but it completely did not respond. I tried plugging it in, and got the red "Charge Battery" symbol, and then the apple logo and slightly blue screen.

Then the screen went black, and the "Charge Battery" symbol came back on.

It has been doing this continually since then, just looping between the two screens. It doesn't show anything when unplugged, plugged into a computer, or a car outlet. This makes me think it is battery related. I have tried hard shutdowns, holding power and home button for 20 seconds, both plugged in and not plugged in.

I did some research, and it seems that people either have the logo loop or the charging loop, but not both. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stan

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you let the phone cool down a couple of hours (4-6)?

Lithium-ion batteries, like the ones in portable devices, hate heat.

Stanhauser

Jul 20, 2020
Visit site
Yes, I have. I let it cool off in the shade, then in an air-conditioned room. Still nothing. I even popped it in the freezer for a few minutes (I know you aren't really supposed to do that, but nothing else was working). It's been about 3 days, and still only giving me the loop.

Also, a few months back I had the battery replaced. Is it possible it was replaced by a lower-quality battery that is less heat-resistant?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have. I let it cool off in the shade, then in an air-conditioned room. Still nothing. I even popped it in the freezer for a few minutes (I know you aren't really supposed to do that, but nothing else was working). It's been about 3 days, and still only giving me the loop.

Also, a few months back I had the battery replaced. Is it possible it was replaced by a lower-quality battery that is less heat-resistant?

If you purchased Apple Care Plus, now would be a good time to use it, in my opinion. You didn’t state how long you left the iPhone in the sunlight so we really can’t say whether or not the damage is only to the battery.

Stanhauser

Jul 20, 2020
Visit site
I left in in the sun for roughly an hour, give or take. At least some of that time it was in dappled shade, and when I initially picked it up it didn't strike me as overly hot, but I can't be certain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2