iPhone 5 and unlimited data plan

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Pure speculation at this point. Just because AT&T does, doesn't mean Verizon will. They still do certain things very differently. So your blanket statement "they can and will throttle" is opinionated.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Pure speculation at this point. Just because AT&T does, doesn't mean Verizon will. They still do certain things very differently. So your blanket statement "they can and will throttle" is opinionated.

Perhaps it is opinionated (as is 90% of stuff said on this or any forum)... but that doesn't preclude it's inevitability.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Next month Verizon will strip all unlimited data users and force them to a tear plan one day after your 14 day return period is expired lol

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Really when it comes to it, if you're willing to front the money for a full retail, more power to you. I am sadly dropping unlimited because I don't have the $800 for a phone upfront. That's fine, I understand.

If you're on month-to-month, as I have been for over a year, in all reality, Verizon could contact you and say, "sorry but we no longer offer your current plan. Please select one of our new plans and get a new device at a discounted price." Blah blah blah.

Yes, would they see backlash? Of course. But is it possible...you bet.

Bluth22

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
If i add a line to my bro inlaws verizon account, will it be unlimited data like his two other lines? If its not, will it still be worth doing compared to opening my own separate account and line? I have sprint now and i have no bars in and around my house what so ever. So i might go to verizon and save/ freeze my sprint account for a while. What do all you guys think of this plan?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No it won't be unlimited
If he's one a older plan data will be 30 for 2 gig ...

Def sharing a family plan is cheaper all around then having one phone on your own account ..

Remember adding a line to his account he signs a contract just like sprint .. If you cancel you will get etf

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
After weighing the pros and the cons, I'm going to part with my unlimited data plan and go for the 4GB plan (including hotspot) when I'm eligible to upgrade. It comes out to a little more than I'm paying now and should be enough data. I worry that because I'll use LTE more (and also will be tethering my iPad), I might go through the data fast. If that happens, I'll just add more data to the plan. Or I could just jump to AT&T and get 5GB...nah, I'll stick with Big Red. :)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
In general, I think people are foolish about wanting to hold on to unlimited plans. Most people don't use more than a few GB per month but will run through a wall to keep their unlimited data plans.

P.S. If a few 10's of dollars per month is really gonna hurt, then I don't know where you are pulling $688 from...

Maybe to you, yes. To me, no. I'm not around wifi that isn't through work where IS blocks 90% of what's available online. Anything I need to do online I do on my phone whether it be streaming Netflix or Sirius or checking other sites. I'd rather shell out the $ to keep my data than shell out more $ every month and having to constantly worry about going over my allowance. I did the math and it's cheaper in the long run to keep unlimited data as long as I am allowed to.

I do wonder when unlimited data will dissapear all together

Sooner rather than later I'd imagine.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In order to buy the 5 at the discounted price from Verizon, I was willing to give up unlimited data because a analysis shows that I don't use much data. Numerous Verizon reps and supervisors confirmed that all I had to do was switch to the family shared plan and add a line and then move the new line to my iPad. Tis way, i would be eligibile for a new phone each year with staggering eligibility. Well, my new phone was delivered to my office this morning and I immediately called Verizon. Asked for a supervisor to make sure no glitches and as recommended in this thread, I didn't turn the phone on.

The supervisor supposedly put my new phone on my old line and then transferred me to the iPad dept. the rep. There told me stuff that didn't make sense regarding the transfer of the new line and its activation regarding eligibility for discounted price plus future eligibility so I asked for a supervisor.

I got transferred to a plain old rep and they transferred to a rep in a different dept, etc. after 5 transfers and nearly 2 hours later, I got the right supervisor. He confirmed the process was correct but investigated and determined was a problem switching the 5 to my old number since after 2 plus hours, it had not happened.

Now, he has to call me back and said it an take 5 hours or more to remedy the problem and then we would have to go back to deal with the iPad issue. The iPad may be a further problem as well because I had tried to set up the other line a few weeks ago and to make a long story short, it was determined that I needed a new SIM card to activate it and Verizon would probably have to mail me one. Why didn't they do it already?

The bottom line is Verizon sucks!

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
In general, I think people are foolish about wanting to hold on to unlimited plans. Most people don't use more than a few GB per month but will run through a wall to keep their unlimited data plans.

P.S. If a few 10's of dollars per month is really gonna hurt, then I don't know where you are pulling $688 from...
"In general", you're going on generalizing which doesn't fit the bill, in general. Three phones, just over 3GB per month between all three, and yet, we hang on to the unlimited plan. Why? Because our bill will go up $40 a month in order to get less data usage. Sure, we'll get unlimited talking. Wow. We have 1400 mins per month that we've never gone over half of the minutes; going on three years. So, it's not "running through a wall". It's different for a lot of people, vs being some generalization about users that aren't willing to lose the unlimited plan because we're foolish. What is foolish is that people like to generalize situations.
Just wait. Verizon can and will start throttling the top data users. Then the people who paid full price for the phone are gonna flip. However, they have no obligation to provide unlimited data at top speeds.
If that happens, then we cancel the lines that are already off contract, and move on to other options. No biggie there.
After weighing the pros and the cons, I'm going to part with my unlimited data plan and go for the 4GB plan (including hotspot) when I'm eligible to upgrade. It comes out to a little more than I'm paying now and should be enough data. I worry that because I'll use LTE more (and also will be tethering my iPad), I might go through the data fast. If that happens, I'll just add more data to the plan. Or I could just jump to AT&T and get 5GB...nah, I'll stick with Big Red. :)
So, you're willing to pay more for less services? Then you're willing to pay even more when you go beyond what you've already paid "more for less"? What aspect of getting rid of the unlimited plan is and going for the higher priced tier, is beneficial to you?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77