iPhone 4 - battery life suddenly reduces more quickly

wifeypoo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I got this phone in April, 2011, and the battery life has always been impressive. As of the last few days, (today is 8/30/11) my battery life suddenly goes down much quicker than it used to, but without using the phone very much.

I know there are things I can do to keep this from happening (changing how often it checks for mail, wifi search, etc.), but I haven't recently changed any of those settings. Why would it be doing this now?

Could it be a new app that I've used? I was under the impression that with iPhone 4, the apps don't run in the background when you are not actively in them.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

FrekeyZeeky

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
are you jailbroken? if so, any you added any new tweaks lately?

if not, let your battery run down to 0% and give it a full charge and see if that helps

KrispyKrink

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you downloaded any new apps just before this started happening? You may want to try removing any of the recent ones and see how the phone behaves for a day or two. The "not running" in the background for some apps isn't entirely true. After that and if there's no change, then make a Genius Bar appointment.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
take it to the apple store dude, this happened to mine a few weeks back and i had tried everything and anything to make it better, i gots me a new iphone and now i'm getting crazy amounts of battery outta my phone.

cfb71756.jpg

auntiewiv

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Something similar has just happened to me. Downloaded an app from the store, backgrounded app store but didn't launch app, lost 60% of my battery in half an hour.

Just forced a reboot and all seems ok now.

iOS 5 beta 6 installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wifeypoo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your responses. I took it to the Apple Store today. I was unaware of the double-tap fx that shows all the apps currently being "used." I wasn't aware that just pressing the home button to close an app, didn't actually "close" the app completely, but was actually the equivalent of minimizing a window.

The Genius Bar guy showed me how to actually close the apps, and only hours later, it's hard to tell if that was actually the problem, but he also did a diagnostic test while I was there, and it showed the battery was fine.

So...if you have crappy battery life, make sure you actually "close" your apps!

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
If you download iBooks and search the free books available for download you will find a user's guide for the iPhone 4 from Apple. I found some interesting features while reading it that I didn't know existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonlessnight

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been having similar battery problems, but I close all of my apps with the double-tap thing so I'm not sure what it is. I attributed it to using the internet every now and then. Are you supposed to be able to skip nights of having to charge it? And sometimes when I charge it, I'll wake up and it's at 99% and won't go past that.

jeffrey1027

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been having similar battery problems, but I close all of my apps with the double-tap thing so I'm not sure what it is. I attributed it to using the internet every now and then. Are you supposed to be able to skip nights of having to charge it? And sometimes when I charge it, I'll wake up and it's at 99% and won't go past that.

I would take this to an apple store

Reactions: moonlessnight

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine started draining quickly (like 60% in 3 hours of NO use) and I noticed the phone was getting pretty warm the past couple if days. I read in another thread that having exchange email set to "push" could be causing it. Needless to say, I turned off "push" and no more heat or drain. LOVE this place! :D

moonlessnight

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I would take this to an apple store

I went there on Saturday for a different problem actually (my lock button would literally make this snapping noise and require a ton of pressure just to push it in) and the girl wound up giving me a new device. I'm already noticing a much better battery situation so I hope it keeps up and maybe I just happened to get a faulty device. (I clearly have the best of luck.)

jeffrey1027

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully here won't be any problems. Just remember when you near the end of warranty day to fully inspect the iPhone of any possible problems before the warranty expires

kev#IM

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Similar problem here and I'm getting more and more convinced that it's caused by the latest iOS update or maybe a single app update (something like facebook). Noticed it first on Sat 3rd, at a music festival. I charged it until noon and turned off wifi, bluetooth and all data/3G in the hope that it would last the weekend. It didn't last the day. I did notice the phone feeling warm but wrote this off as me just looking for a problem.

Every day this week, it has died before 8pm. Before this, the only time it ever died in under a day was when I did several hours of gaming or instant messanger. My usage profile really hasn't changed, and I've tried turning off background apps.

Definitely something funny happening...

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I just got my iPhone and have watched the battery drain 7% in the past 15 minutes! I read through the battery tips and changed some settings.

Regarding the double home button tap... when the apps show up, do you hold them down and hit the red minimize button to actually close them? I'm coming from BlackBerry where you could choose the "close" option in an app.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the double home button tap... when the apps show up, do you hold them down and hit the red minimize button to actually close them? I'm coming from BlackBerry where you could choose the "close" option in an app.

Yes. Hold the app down till the little red X appears, then tap the X to close out the app. Do this for each app that you want to close.

sv1964xx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I too have had similar problems. Tried all the web suggestions, then finally took iPhone to the apple store and it was replaced under warranty. New iPhone is doing the same thing. Restored from a backup so it's making me thing its one of the installed apps.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77