iPad Air setup via Restore issues

bgwebbjr

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else had issues setting up their iPad Air via iCloud restore?

I restored mine from an iCloud backup of my iPad 3. Two issues:

1) Had a TON of resistance on the part of the Air to restoring videos from iTunes Store purchases. I mean it took forever, multiple restarts. Finally had to restore each movie separately and scroll to the end of the movie to get the whole thing to recognize being restored. A couple still have the little 'cloud' icon although the entire movie appears to be present(turned off WiFi, started movie, scrolled to the end and watched the credits to be sure).

2) After 24 hours of constant WiFi connection, the iPad still did not think the restore was complete. Went to iCloud to initiate a backup and it would not initiate until I did a 'force complete' of the restore, with requisite warnings of irrecoverable loss of data if anything was not restored yet. No issues since then.

Anyone else had similar experience?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an iPad Air, but I've never run into problems restoring from a backup via my iPad 2 or iPad Mini. Still, I prefer to set up a brand new device as new, and not from a backup.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with 3 days worth of time and plenty of it on wifi and my air still said the restore was incomplete. I couldn't see anything missing so I went ahead and stopped it. Now it's finally backing up to iCloud. No idea what wasn't restored.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Now that I think about it, when I initially installed iOS 7, my iPad 2 stalled during for what appeared to be an abnormally long period of time. I turned off the device, turned it back on, and the process picked up where it left off and then quickly completed the installation without a problem.

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I was unable to restore from iCloud backup. Apps wouldn't install even after multiple reboots. Then if was told the process couldn't finish. I gave up and restored via cable/iTunes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Palasek

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I did not have those problems but I did have poor battery life when I initially setup my ipad air from an icloud backup. Was only getting about 8 hours of use. This past weekend I wiped it and setup as a new ipad. Now I'm getting 12+ hours of use. Seems like icloud restores for ipad air are not a good idea for some people. Could be because the backup was from my ipad mini that I got rid of.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had no problems at all restoring my iPad Air with an iCloud backup of my old iPad Mini. It did take a while though to transfer the 800 pics and 8 videos that I have. But it was the same with my 5S as well so I figured it was normal.

Michael Schirmer

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I restored my iPad Air to my iPhone 5 back up. Just got it today. Everything looks like it's been restored but when I go to do the new software update, it's telling me that I can't do it until the iPad full restores. It's been 3 hours and everything looks like it's there except Google isn't uploading for some reason. Any idea what I should do?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I restored my iPad Air to my iPhone 5 back up. Just got it today. Everything looks like it's been restored but when I go to do the new software update, it's telling me that I can't do it until the iPad full restores. It's been 3 hours and everything looks like it's there except Google isn't uploading for some reason. Any idea what I should do?

Try rebooting your device.