iPad 2 Screen Problems, Help?!

KawaiiKristi

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
(The wording in this post is from yesterday, so all "today" "tomorrow" etc are off by a day)

First off, I have experience repairing electronics. I actually just started my own repair business. That said, I'm stumped. Note: I haven't taken the device apart yet as I'm in the middle of moving.

Problem:
My mother's iPad 2 (A1395 - iOS 8.2) has a new problem today. This morning she told me that the screen is black. At first she thought it wasn't powering on. I looked at it, and it had just a black screen, but the backlight was on. I tried the preliminary stuff, reboot, hard reset, changing the brightness (all by memory as the screen can't be seen). But what makes this odd is:
(a) When I slid the "Slide to turn off" button, I could see it move clearly, and some of the screen became visible.
(b) When putting the iPad to sleep or waking it, there is a flash of the screen, and you can see what's on the screen for about 30ms. There are vertical lines of varying color.
(c) If I take a screenshot, the screen becomes visible for just a moment.
(d) There is a weird moving light at the bottom of the screen, just covering the bottom ~1cm with jagged lines on top of it, looking almost like grass in a cartoon strip.

I am thinking possible loose connection or screen dying, but it could also be software related. The only reason I think it may be software is because of (a), (b), and (c); while interacting with certain elements, others become visible. What do you all think?

I am moving today so I don't have time to take it apart (although I left all my tools and repair stuff out as I was supposed to have a customer drop off their phone yesterday). I will certainly get back with my findings, probably tomorrow or Sunday.

UPDATE: I did a restore through iTunes last night (after tediously taking screenshots to navigate my way to the settings to turn off Find My iPad) and the problem persists. I still feel like its a software problem though because I can see the screen when using certain items. I took a video yesterday and I'll upload it to YouTube later today and post a link.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If it was software, the restore should have corrected the issue... it's likely a hardware issue. The iMore Blog has plenty of DIY tutorials if you feel confident enough to try a repair.

KawaiiKristi

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
The iMore Blog has plenty of DIY tutorials if you feel confident enough to try a repair.

Oh yeah I have an electronics repair business, I do this stuff regularly, just haven't seen this problem yet. Once I have my mat and tools unpacked I'll set to it and see what the problem is. Do you think its maybe a loose connection, or does it seem like the screen is bad?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travishoang