iOS 8 - Which device will get it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 8

I think that iPhone 4s/5/5s/5c and iPod 5 and ipad 2/4/air/mini/mini2

Posted via iMore App
I can only assume you mean to say that the models you mentioned are the ones you think will be supported via iOS 8. Is that correct?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
100% getting iOS 8: iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPad 4/Air/Mini2

100% not getting iOS 8: iPhone 4

On the bubble: iPhone 4S, iPad 2/3/Mini, iPod Touch 5

Welcome to iMore Smellylemon.

Not sure about the iPad 2 getting the update for iOS 8.

I've had more people complain about the iPad 3 lagging on iOS 7 than the iPad 2 on iOS 7 so it's interesting...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
?, why would your 5s need to be JB to get it.

I think he meant he woulnd't upgrade till he could JB.

Sticking to OP I think any device with an A5 or up will get iOS8, mostly due to the iPad Mini still being sold, and I don't see a rMini taking that price point just yet.

clcoupe

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but iPad 2 is the same spec as iPad mini. I think people who bought into the mini will be a bit annoyed if apple don't upgraded them to iOS 8 this I turn means iPad 2 should also benefit. I do agree iPad 2 is about at the end of its life but with the mini sharing many parts this maybe the final iOS for it.
I know if I had a 2 I would not be that worried but if I had a mini that I maybe only had 2 years as a posed 4 for the 2, I would not be happy. Just my thoughts

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
100% getting iOS 8: iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPad 4/Air/Mini2

On the bubble: iPhone 4S, iPad 2/3/Mini, iPod Touch 5 ...
I think you are probably correct, but for the record, Apple's policy on upgrades would leave the iPhone 5 out of the upgrade cycle. iPad 2 by this same policy should not have got anything past iOS 5 though, so it's a policy they regularly violate to the consumers benefit. There is always the possibility that they will invoke their written policy on this matter though and leave out the iPhone 5 and anything contemporaneous or previous to it.

All they have said on paper about upgrades (their policy) is that a device should get all the point upgrades to the OS it shipped with, the next full number update, and all the point updates associated with that second OS. iPhone 5 shipped with iOS 6 lest we forget, and iPad 2 shipped with iOS 4.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh I forgot about the Apple TVs so:

100% getting iOS 8: iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPad 4/Air/Mini2, Apple TV 3

On the bubble: iPhone 4S, iPad 2/3/Mini, iPod Touch 5, Apple TV 2

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I believe due to the dual core A5 chip in the iPad 2 and mini 1st gen they will still get iOS 8. They can run iOS 7 after all the design changes and considering iOS 8 will only be having features being added I doubt it will tax the older generation hardware much more but probably will lack some of the new additions.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app