iOS 7 - Some of the more obscure additions

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Thought I would start a thread to discuss some of the less talked-about additions in iOS 7.
I'm combing through the developer documentation and found some interesting ones. Some were on the splash screen during the keynote, but not really mentioned:

Inter-App Audio:
The Audio Unit framework (AudioUnit.framework) adds support for Inter-App Audio, which enables the ability to send MIDI commands and stream audio between apps on the same device. For example, you might use this feature to record music from an app acting as an instrument or use it to send audio to another app for processing.
- Lots of potential uses for this one!

Peer-to-Peer Connectivity:
The Multipeer Connectivity framework (MultipeerConnectivity.framework) supports the discovery of nearby devices and the direct communication with those devices without requiring Internet connectivity. This framework makes it possible to create multipeer sessions easily and to support reliable in-order data transmission and real-time data transmission. With this framework, your app can communicate with nearby devices and seamlessly exchange data.
- Secure, easy file sharing possibilities. Very nice.

All UI elements have been updated to present the new look associated with iOS 7.
So old apps will acquire some of the new styling.

MessageUI Framework
In the MessageUI framework, the MFMessageComposeViewController class adds support for attaching files to messages. For information about the new interfaces, see the framework header files.
- Sounds like a possibility of attaching files to emails SMS from external apps

New multitasking APIs (mentioned, but not really elaborated on)
Apps that regularly require new content can register with the system and be woken up or launched periodically to download that content in the background.
Apps that use push notifications to notify the user that new content is available can now use those notifications to initiate background download operations.
- So basically, apps can now enter background mode almost any time they want. Goodbye 15 minute limit!

Anyone else find anything neat?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
They mentioned call/message/mail blocking in passing during the keynote... any detail you could add would be welcomed.

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello - I'd like to know the same thing about the being able to change the rainbow colors? Also, is there a way to change the text background from white?

A way to change the app icons from looking so "flat"?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
They mentioned call/message/mail blocking in passing during the keynote... any detail you could add would be welcomed.

Yes, they appear to. I?ve tested it by blocking my wife's iPhone... her calls to me go right to voice mail with no ring or other indication on my phone. Her text messages show "delivered" on her phone with no indication on my phone that I got a new text... and there is no notification of the missed call/text EVEN after I unblock her.

Does the wifi, text, calls and data all work correctly? Don't want to install if the basics don't work.

Yes, so far, the basics work: wifi, text, calls and data.

I occasionally get "kicked out" of whatever I?m doing and dumped back to the home screen... it?s happened 2 or 3 times... certainly quite stable IMHO for a beta 1 release.

davidliu

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thx for the additional information.
Peer to peer connectivity sounds like a great feature! I'd certainly be playing multiplayer more often;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB