iOS 7 jailbreak

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it everyone's idea that since there is no jailbreak for is 6.1.3 and above is that the powers to be are waiting on iOS 7? If so how long does everyone think we will have to wait for a jailbreak to surface?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have read several posts within the past few weeks or so that stated that the next jailbreak is not expected until after the release of iOS 7. As for when that is, my guess is a broad one -- some time over the summer...:)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
That is really pessimistic to wait that long for a jailbreak, but it seems likely that iOS 7 would be released then

September 19th, 2012. iOS 6 released.
February 5th, 2013. First iOS 6 jailbreak released.

That's just shy of 5 months.

I'm not sure "really pessimistic" means what you think it means.

dfb, some of the exploits that enabled the iOS 6 jailbreak remain in iOS. Realistically, devs could utilize these and another exploit or two to get a tool out for 6.1.3. However, doing this essentially ensures the exploits would be patched prior to the release of iOS 7. They may be patched regardless. The amount of people that want to jailbreak that didn't jailbreak using evasi0n isn't enough to burn an exploit that may work in iOS 7. You're waiting for Apple to release iOS 7, devs to mess with it to see if current tricks work, find new tricks, test the tool, create software to make the techniques usable by the masses, and release the tool. As the bootrom isn't compromised for the 4S or 5, this is a task that takes some time. If you can find a bootrom exploit, you can pass it on to devs and there will be more, and quicker, jailbreaks for current devices. If not, you're at the mercy of their schedules and their desire to find these exploits.

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
September 19th, 2012. iOS 6 released.
February 5th, 2013. First iOS 6 jailbreak released.

That's just shy of 5 months.

I'm not sure "really pessimistic" means what you think it means.

dfb, some of the exploits that enabled the iOS 6 jailbreak remain in iOS. Realistically, devs could utilize these and another exploit or two to get a tool out for 6.1.3. However, doing this essentially ensures the exploits would be patched prior to the release of iOS 7. They may be patched regardless. The amount of people that want to jailbreak that didn't jailbreak using evasi0n isn't enough to burn an exploit that may work in iOS 7. You're waiting for Apple to release iOS 7, devs to mess with it to see if current tricks work, find new tricks, test the tool, create software to make the techniques usable by the masses, and release the tool. As the bootrom isn't compromised for the 4S or 5, this is a task that takes some time. If you can find a bootrom exploit, you can pass it on to devs and there will be more, and quicker, jailbreaks for current devices. If not, you're at the mercy of their schedules and their desire to find these exploits.

Um what? What are you even talking about?

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Safe bet is to say the next jailbreak comes out spring 2014. No use getting all riled up about ios7 jailbreak when ios7 isn't even out yet.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Um what? What are you even talking about?

I figured that was completely obvious.

May is nearly over. That means the soonest you'd see iOS7 is mid-late June. 5 months from that is mid-late November. Given that each version is a little harder to crack than the one before it, it's optimistic to believe a December jailbreak is likely.

I'm not sure "pessimistic" means what you think it means.

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I figured that was completely obvious.

May is nearly over. That means the soonest you'd see iOS7 is mid-late June. 5 months from that is mid-late November. Given that each version is a little harder to crack than the one before it, it's optimistic to believe a December jailbreak is likely.

I'm not sure "pessimistic" means what you think it means.

Last time I checked December was a long way off, so yes, I do consider it pessimistic for those who are stuck at 6.1.3 and want to jailbreak. Doesn't really effect me though, since I'm still jailbroken on 5.0.1 and perfectly happy

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's pessimistic to expect things to happen in approximately the same timeline as the most recent?

Again, I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
To answer the question not asked, wouldn't it be possible to immediately jailbreak iOS 7 with an older device since. The limerain exploit is hardware based and the iPhone 4 and below are "unable to be patched by apple in future revisions." Won't be an untethered super popular jailbreak but if the op is just asking when is the soonest ios7 jailbreak... Good things take time.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
There's usually more behind the scenes work ups. But yes, you'll see a jailbreak quickly for the older devices. However, if iOS 6 is any indication, the jailbreak will be a very limited tool for a tethered jailbreak. These are aimed at developers so they can work to update their tweaks before a full release.

They tend to keep the other things they so to get the untethered to work quiet until they mass release a tool