• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iOS 18.1 RC is out

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You all know what to do. I’ve installed the new version and thus far everything is running smoothly. I also took the hearing test and the results (little to no hearing loss) was automatically inserted into the Health app.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
You all know what to do. I’ve installed the new version and thus far everything is running smoothly. I also took the hearing test and the results (little to no hearing loss) was automatically inserted into the Health app.
Huh, so I saw the test option in the Airpods section on my phone after updating on the public beta which is the same, but my airpods don't have the new firmware yet which I read elsewhere is supposed to be needed for the features. Did you get the new firmware already? Or it just worked without it?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Huh, so I saw the test option in the Airpods section on my phone after updating on the public beta which is the same, but my airpods don't have the new firmware yet which I read elsewhere is supposed to be needed for the features. Did you get the new firmware already? Or it just worked without it?

I have firmware version 7B13c, but I’ve read there is a 7B13d, but my AirPods Pro haven’t updated to it yet.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have firmware version 7B13c, but I’ve read there is a 7B13d, but my AirPods Pro haven’t updated to it yet.
Thanks, I think I'll wait just for maximum compatibility/etc to make sure I don't "need to redo it" or something. Airpods Pro 2 are supposed to have 7B19 but I'm on 7A305 still.

I've been really interested in the feature since it was announced. I'm sure I probably have some mild hearing loss from being early 50's, living on an Aircraft Carrier for a few years, and lots of loudish music in the car plus home theater fun lol.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I think I'll wait just for maximum compatibility/etc to make sure I don't "need to redo it" or something. Airpods Pro 2 are supposed to have 7B19 but I'm on 7A305 still.

I've been really interested in the feature since it was announced. I'm sure I probably have some mild hearing loss from being early 50's, living on an Aircraft Carrier for a few years, and lots of loudish music in the car plus home theater fun lol.

I hear ya. Apple needs to do a beater job at getting the AirPods/AirPods Pro updated. If it can be done by plugging the case into my Mac then tell me so I can do it myself. Know what I mean?

I’ve pretty much been checking for an updated AirPods Pro 2 firmware all day today at the office. Both my iPhone and my AirPods have been next to each other and charging. …Ugh!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I hear ya. Apple needs to do a beater job at getting the AirPods/AirPods Pro updated. If it can be done by plugging the case into my Mac then tell me so I can do it myself. Know what I mean?

I’ve pretty much been checking for an updated AirPods Pro 2 firmware all day today at the office. Both my iPhone and my AirPods have been next to each other and charging. …Ugh!
Not sure if there is a beta track for them, so I'm just assuming it will show up next week with the official 18.1 release

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I installed the RC yesterday. It is the first beta I've ever installed, but I really wanted the update, so I took the small risk. The hearing test went as expected (mild loss), but I haven't tried the hearing aid function. What is REALLY fabulous is the Clean Up function in Photos!! Being able to easily remove unwanted people and objects from a photo is super useful. BTW, according to MacRumors, it is potentially quite advantageous to get the RC beta because you can get the Apple Intelligence feature right away, without having to wait in what may be a really long queue on release date next week.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed the RC yesterday. It is the first beta I've ever installed, but I really wanted the update, so I took the small risk. The hearing test went as expected (mild loss), but I haven't tried the hearing aid function. What is REALLY fabulous is the Clean Up function in Photos!! Being able to easily remove unwanted people and objects from a photo is super useful. BTW, according to MacRumors, it is potentially quite advantageous to get the RC beta because you can get the Apple Intelligence feature right away, without having to wait in what may be a really long queue on release date next week.

Congratulations on taking a chance and installing your first iOS beta. Now that it’s installed, do you find it more stable than you expected?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Congratulations on taking a chance and installing your first iOS beta. Now that it’s installed, do you find it more stable than you expected?
So far, no issues. Since I'm told the RC is virtually identical to the official release, I expected it to be stable, and it is.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I never had any stability issues with 18.0/18.1 running the public betas since they were available. Maybe minor bugs on 17.0 last year. Overall I can't remember really ever having any major issues and I've been doing the public betas as soon as they're available for about 5-6 years now. I had ONE recuring display issue with Discord on my iPad this time around that was just a discord issue and even persisted a bit after official 18.0 launch where rotating to landscape would leave a big blank box on the right side that could be fixed by going to the app switcher and back or just opening the app while already in landscape.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I never had any stability issues with 18.0/18.1 running the public betas since they were available. Maybe minor bugs on 17.0 last year. Overall I can't remember really ever having any major issues and I've been doing the public betas as soon as they're available for about 5-6 years now. I had ONE recuring display issue with Discord on my iPad this time around that was just a discord issue and even persisted a bit after official 18.0 launch where rotating to landscape would leave a big blank box on the right side that could be fixed by going to the app switcher and back or just opening the app while already in landscape.

Your experience has been similar to mine, and I am typically on a developer beta year round and have been for at least 10 years. Like you, I’ve come across minor glitches periodically, but nothing that would disrupt my device usage or make me rush back to the official build.

So when I read about people having all sorts of issues and claiming the beta ‘bricked’ their devices, I’m flabbergasted. Know what I mean?

Reactions: flyinion

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have had random issues with beta releases on my previous iPhone. Often app crashes.

The biggest issue, they filled up my iPhone’s storage (like 20-30GB of logs on a 64GB phone).

I’m not going back to the Beta versions on my current phone. It’s more important that everything works 😁

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin