• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Invalid Sim

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday out of the blue my phone said invalid sim. I rebooted the phone and it did not help.

I waited a few minutes and shut the phone down for 3 minutes and them restarted the phone and it was fine.

Is this going to be a reoccurring issue.

Should I go to my Apple store or call Verizon.

Don't want this to keep happening since I run a business through my phone.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This was happening to me on and off since launch day. Rebooting fixed it until a few weeks ago. I wound up fixing it by removing the SIM card and wiping it off with a microfiber cloth. looked like it had something smudged on it like fingerprint grease. working fine now and I haven't gotten the invalid SIM error again since.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Update.

I got the same invalid sim error in the same location today.

I have never removed the card so I doubt it's dirty, not sure if its LTE related or weather related.

I leave my phone in my truck while I work. It was not that cold today.

If I turn off the phone... Wait a minute and turn back on its fine, problem is I miss texts and calls while its in invalid sim mode.

Is this a phone issue or a SIM card issue....

e koulak

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Update.

I have never removed the card so I doubt it's dirty, not sure if its LTE related or weather related.

If I turn off the phone... Wait a minute and turn back on its fine, problem is I miss texts and calls while its in invalid sim mode.

Could've gotten fingerprint smudges on contacts when installing

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Update.

Mine came pre-installed from Verizon and it was dirty when I removed it.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Haven't reset network settings yet.

I assume that's in settings ?

Ill have to take out the sim if it does this again.

I have popping out that little door. Always think its gonna break.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
What happens when you reset the network ? Do you need to do anything after resetting ?

Phone reboots and basically it erases the saved networks and network settings so all you have to do is re type your wifi password

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Haven't reset network settings yet.

I assume that's in settings ?

Ill have to take out the sim if it does this again.

I have popping out that little door. Always think its gonna break.

It's no biggie, really. It feels flimsy but it was pretty good when I popped the drawer out. Trust me I was about to go to the Apple store because the No SIM error was driving me crazy. After cleaning the SIM I haven't seen the error again. It's been about a month now I think.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I used to have this issue with my iPhone 4. It happens on some units when the sim tray is a little loose. If the SIM card loses contact then it will give problems. I took my iPhone 4 in I had screen shots of the times it said "no sim" which was what happened to me. I explained what happened and that I had to reseat the SIM while the phone was on to fix it and they swapped the phone. I never had a problem after that. Whatever you do don't restore your phone the tool they use to test your network connection the logs get wiped out on a restore. They need a week's worth of logs but I don't think they will even check the logs just do screeshots when it happens to show.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I cleaned my SIM card even though it was not dirty.

I hope this resolves my SIM card issues.

I think it's software related not a physical issue, seems to always happen in one customers driveway.

It's happened other places too but never at my house.

I guess I'll take screen shots and record the issue and bring it to apple if it persists.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I cleaned my SIM card even though it was not dirty.

I hope this resolves my SIM card issues.

I think it's software related not a physical issue, seems to always happen in one customers driveway.

It's happened other places too but never at my house.

I guess I'll take screen shots and record the issue and bring it to apple if it persists.

I had this same issue a couple weeks ago. Luckily for me, cleaning the card worked. I would go into a Verizon store, explain that you have a bad SIM card and they should exchange it. The gentleman I spoke with at the Verizon Store said if cleaning the SIM didn't work they'd swap the card.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Can I just go to an apple store.

I try to NEVER go to a Verizon store. They never have a clue and its usually a bunch of teenagers.

Thanks

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman